Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
verticalcult

Seoraksan Ulsanbawi 30 pitch routes

Just wondering if anyone out there has any extra beta on the two moderate-easy Ulsanbawi ridge routes Hana Doineun Gil (하나되는 길) and / or Na deul-i(나들이). I have the KOrean guide and they seem like fun 30 pitch ridge routes YSD grades up to 5.9 and 5.7 respectively. 조성갑? Sokcho crew? I really would like to do something like this after the graet times I've had reacently on easy trad multi-pitch routes. Thanks in advance.
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Point Dume

Jake 형,

If you decide to do this, please let me know! This time I promise I'll be faster (I've begun building up arm strength hanging out at the Ttukseom artificial wall). Just the thought of 30 pitches at 5.7-5.9 makes me glad I made the move to Korea. If you go without me, I may just have to follow anyway, like that 7th samurai in Kurosawa's movie . . .

Joe

Last edited by jsp1001 : 11-03-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Unread 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
tinker bell

30 pitches sounds to good to be true. let me know when you plan to do this endever and i will deffinetly be a sherpa if it gets me in on the climb.
Unread 11-04-2007, 12:59 PM
verticalcult

OK well, it would need us to get organized and get dates set asap. The routes take 2 nights+ 3 days (harder -Hana doineun gil/하나되는 길) or 1 night + 2 days (easier - Nadeul-i/나들이). And things are getting chilly up north for bivvying (as one must). They are ridge routes so it's a bit different from a regular day of rock climbing. I know KOTRer Jo Songkap/ 조성갑 has done a third sister route here called doljanchi/돌잔치 but that might be a bit ambitious for me just yet as it has pitches to 5.11a (and I'm assumming that's nat/ trad pro etc). But if we have the members and a good team, I'll try and get the beta on route details and so on. As I work both Fri and Mon I would probably go with Nadeul-i/나들이 Sat morn to Sun arvo. Nov 24-25th (most available weekend for me, though a little late and chilly I know). OK see what happens.
Unread 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Point Dume

The Sat/Sun schedule sounds good. Please keep me updated on the plans and anything I can contribute by way of preparation. Who knows, perhaps Jo Sungab himself will make a showing, since Seoraksan in the Fall may be reminiscent of the Scottish highlands. . .
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM
peace

dang

you could count me in for either weekend before, but likely not that weekend!

How about the one before?!
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM
verticalcult

The weekend before is probably a no goer for me as I have a mates 1 year old baby party thing...kinda hard to get outta, it's a big deal here in KOrea....friends too. Will see, maybe.
Unread 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Padawan Rock Climber

I would be able to contribute as well. I didnt get to make it to the BBQ because of my stupid commander, but that weekend nothing will be going on. I can contribute a bit of gear but if we are camping I need to know because I have to buy a tent.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
verticalcult

Wow! This thread is getting a lot more interest than I imagined it would, and a lot of you cats have pm-ed me with questions and offers - thanks that's awesome. Up-vibed and high is where we want it, for sure.
OK the beta as I know it now. Bivvying, means bivvying. Not camping, not tenting it.
The easier ridge route "Nadeil-i" is still a committing route, not a mere hike.
It will be cold. They've already had small snowfalls up there.
A 60L packpack works fine as a half body bivvy-sack, but a down sleeping bag and pad would still be necessary.
Multi-pitch climbs are best done in teams of 2 or 3 at most. Not meaning to say "bugger off, we don't want you" or anything, but you'd need to sort out teams/ partners. Personally I will be climbing with Kyung Ah and maybe 1 more....but no decisions guaranteed yet. Good to match a stronger with a weaker partner, having a few seperate teams "together" is also a good safe and friendly plan. That's what it looks like we'll be doing.
Weather and so on will play an important role in doing this. There are a number of bail out points (escape rap routes) on the route. I'll try and get maps and such out asap.
Gearwise I'm not sure yet, but good warm clothes, comfortable multi-pitch rock shoes, down bags, headlamps and helmets, trad-rack and rope will all be needed.
It will be great fun and I don't want to discourage anyone, just trying to give you the best beta I can.
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM
So many mountains, but only one life!

Man, I'd love to do this but I just don't have the rack. Have fun, though!