Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Seorak Sender

Anybody going / been to Malaysia?

I am headed to kota kinabalu, Malaysia (the Borneo part) in January. Ill probably stay there a few weeks, and see the jungle, some beach, and check out the mountain. After, ill head over to KL and up through Thailand in February.
Is anybody else going and wants to meet up? My schedule is really open and not climbing specific.
Also if anybody has been or climbed in Malaysia and has any "musts" about where to go and what to bring that would help.
Thanks

Last edited by Patrick : 11-21-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Former Action Guy

I've trained in the jungle there. It's really nuts. Lots of cobras, monkeys, worms, and black palm. You'll need a hammock. I also recommend you be careful of traveling alone as it does have an active Al Qaeada presence. Other than that it's much like traveling in Thailand but nicer. Also, malayasian girls are really...eager, I guess is the best euphemism I can use. So, bring a supply of western protection.
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Jiri Jammer

Was in KK and that part of Borneo for Christmas last year - FANTASTIC place to go to!

Must sees:

THE MOUNTAIN - Mt Kinabalu, book in advance and although it is expensive, it is worth every penny!!

The Kibatangan river - stay in a cool place in the jungle by the river, I only did a night and wish I had stayed 2. It's awesome.

The orangutan sanctuary - very touristy, but if you have time, try fit it in. Don't bother with the proboscis one - you'll see plenty in the wild!

I wasn't overly impressed by the beach... full of people, you can't swim anywhere and got bitten by LOTS of sandfleas! Maybe head out on a free afternoon in KK.
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Seorak Sender

sweet
Thanks for the tips
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Seorak Sender

HelenK was on the wrong beach! Some the best scuba sites in the world are in Sabah. It is worth learning the sport just to dive at Sipadan (travel from Mabul). IMHO the caves knock spots off Kinabulu - but that is an interesting few days climbing out of the jungle. Check your embassy site for the latest on terrorist threats. There is nothing on the main island that I know of but tourists were kidnapped from Sipadan by a Philipino Islam group a few years back. The Malaysian army are now permanently stationed at Sipadan and there is no overnighting allowed. Malaysia is a fantastic country!!
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Seorak Sender

I just found this site and shot them an email. I was asking about a guide and the person was pretty cool and invited me to join their weekly crew once i got there. Can't wait!!!
also, it's hard to find other climbers to hook up with in Malaysia, apparently.

http://www.vertical-adventure.com/ba...amuk-wall.html