Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Closed Thread
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Meet & Greet - Spring 2007 - Location

OK, so Shanja and I hit Yeongyeong in Daegu today and did some scoping out of the area as a potential M&G location.

The verdict: not so good. Without setting up tents in the gravel restaurant parking lot, we could maybe sleep 10 there max... Plus, it was pretty trashy.

So, we need to narrow the location down. The place needs to meet a few criteria. If you know a place that meets the following criteria, post it and then we'll decide.
  1. Must be big enough to allow for 25+ KOTR climbers plus the local Korean climbers
  2. Must have routes for all levels
  3. Must have a place to sleep (camping, minbak, etc...)
  4. Must have a toilet (at least near the camping area, not necessarily at the crag)
  5. Should be relatively easy to get to (kind of subjective...)

The only places I know of that meet these things are the places we have had the previous M&G's: Seonunsan and Ganhyeon.

What are some other options?
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
peace

I figured as much about Daegu (and i've been to all the Daegu crags now). . . even Matt's Love Motel was a stretch for 9.

Do either/both of y'all wanna check out these other southern spots this weekend? There may be another place-- not unlike Yongseo Falls-- accessible via train, plenty of camping/minbaks/water/bathrooms. . .that we'd (kinds) have to ourselves. I am thinking of looking within an hour or so of Busan. Otherwise, you may have hit the nail on the head. . . I'd go woith B-Team: Sununsan for spring-- it has everything we need, and hopefully no major construction (or at any rate, we could warn people to bring earplugs). . . Kanhyon is sooo awesome for summer, moreso than MT season. . .

I would LOVE company this weeekend (Mandalynn on the weekend at least). . . I'll bring the camera and so take photos if I come up with anything to recommend. . .
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Aggressive Sheep

I've long been eyeing (via pictures) the prominent rock in this park since Ilsanbro couldn't stop talking about it. Comments say there are many crags in this park which would add to the variety though there is no info about camping. Sonia, it sounds like you've been there...any thoughts? anyone else?
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
peace

This (Geumjeongsan) is where I scoped last-last weekend (in Busan). . . Daeryukbong is decent, but no legit camping nearby. . . too difficult to access without a car, no facilities/water/restrooms. . . I just see too much nightmare scenerio. . . we are hauled off for illegal camping. . . it pours rain and we have no sober drivers to shuttle people down the long, winding road. . . and nowhere to bail to but a seedy love motel and/or Amanda's place. . .

Hey if YOU get Friday off, you should be heading S checking these places out with me!!!
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
I'd go woith B-Team: Sununsan for spring-- it has everything we need, and hopefully no major construction (or at any rate, we could warn people to bring earplugs). . .
I'm leaning that way too, despite the fact that the South may rise again if we don't get somewhere in the vicinity of Busan...

For nostalgia's sake, the first M&G (10/16-17/2004) was at Seonunsan as was last spring's M&G.
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Aggressive Sheep

Last time I was at Seonunsan, the construction was finished. We need more recent beta though b/c that was a nightmare last year.

Quote:
This (Geumjeongsan) is where I scoped last-last weekend
Bummer, looks like a cool place. something i definitely want to hit in the future!

Quote:
Hey if YOU get Friday off, you should be heading S checking these places out with me!!!
sorry, I'm locked into Halmei on friday and I'm trying to meet up with a friend of a friend from my home town in Taegu this weekend...but that's not confirmed. I'll keep you posted about my plans...
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:56 PM
peace

Quote:
Sorry, I'm locked into Halmei on friday and I'm trying to meet up with a friend of a friend from my home town in Taegu this weekend...but that's not confirmed.

Whoa. . . OK, I had dinner with colleagues and we did have some wine tonight, but that (emphasis mine) seems contradictory

Quote:
from my home town in Taegu

OK, I accept that you claim Kansas and Oregon, but Taegu?!?! Aren't you "from" Kunsan?!?!
Unread 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Working it out

Quote:
I would LOVE company this weeekend (Mandalynn on the weekend at least). . .

Sorry, Sonia, but I'm headed to the Korea v. Uruguay game on Saturday....

Les and I were at Ganhyeon on Sunday--we were both pretty impressed with the area. I haven't been to the other spot Eric mentioned, but I wouldn't have any problems staying in town for the m&g (although a trip south would be a welcome escape...).
Unread 03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Aggressive Sheep

how much wine sonia? well, it is 11 on a tuesday. ok...clarification:
locked into halmei = friday, weekend (sat/sun) = unconfirmed
see friend from hometown IN Taegu.
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:13 AM
peace

not how much wine (less than 2 bottles for 6 people in 3 hours). . . but how much weekend. . . I think I have come to believe the weekend starts Friday!

Damn I love my job!