Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Accidents & Injuries

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
verticalcult

Where shall we REPLACE old bolts/ anchors?

As it says in the title, we now have a few bolts (12) and anchor sets (5) that we could use to REPLACE dodgy old fixed pro (not retro-bolt trad routes, nor add bolts, nor make new routes).
Yep, we are back in the ROK and whilst the icy white cloak falls in a lovely thick carpet even as I type this, why not suggest a few rock climbing places, routes or even individual bolts that you feel need replacing? Priority will be given to those who kicked in cash (thanks again!!), but don't be shy to suggest even if you weren't able to contribute. It's all about maximizing our collective beta to increase the safety thing.
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
tinker bell

I know didnt chip in on this but i do have in order in with one of the stores i mentioned to you befor up in jongno o-ga for 5 bolts plus hangers so you can add that to the list of how many we have.

along with that my personel opinion would have to be Yongso Pokpo... for all of you that have climbed there i know you have seen and clipped the scary fully rusted over bolts that either were never drilled in far enough in the first place or have been pulled about an inch out of the wall...
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Jiri Jammer

as a southerner i second yongseo pokpo. good climbs, sketchy sketchy hardware.
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:12 AM
peace

I agree Yongseo is a good place to start. I have a set of chains (or 2) and between those and my donation, there are a few anchors (10B corner crack on the upper right!!, and the 11 crack to it's left) that's I'd like to nominate!

When I get back, I'd be happy to talk to the locals about helping with this.
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Ground hugger

Ditto... Yongseo Pokpo.

Would you mind pm-ing me your bank details so I can get that money to you? I don't think I'll be up in Seoul for a while to give you the money, so transfer is probably the easiest.

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Aggressive Sheep

agreed...Yongseo Pokpo
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
verticalcult

OK then. As replacing bolts will take time and we hate losing a total weekend to work (however "good" the work be) I'm thinking we could plan on using a long weekend such as:
May 3-5th - Childrens Day
May 10-12th - Buddha's Birthday
June 6-8th - Liberation Day(?)
Of course this will depend on getting the routesetters OK and a bolting guru, which is what we currently lack, but we are working on that issue.
If this weekend is too far off for you keen as mustard types, cool. Anytime we can be ready is good.
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Aggressive Sheep

i'll be gone the first 2 weeks of may, but don't let that determine the bolting plans. the last 2 weekends in april i'll be out as well. any other time you can count me in!
i'm guessing the Mokpo crew can rally the routesetters. that sounds like a crazy fun weekend!

say...is there any way the "heavyweight champion of the world" can move this thread from "accidents and injuries" to "climbing chat" or "upcoming trips"??? i fear its current location is a bad omen.
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
peace

I'd rather see it done before the spring season! I, for one, would be happy to "give up" a day or two to help rebolt. Basically, how many of us climb more than a token 6 routes on a good day?!?! Replacing the bolts just before the rain sets, well, why not before anything happens?! I know we'll all head to Yongseo pretty soon!

AND has anything on KOTR had such universal agreement? All the more reason to hold an early "meet and bolt" weekend. . . maybe we supply the (post-bolting) beer for any Koreans who show up with their drills. I'll be happy to track down and talk to the first ascentionists!
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
tinker bell

Some of us were climbign at Yongseo last weekend and it was absolutley beautiful so we could do early morning rebolting and then climb after