Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 10-09-2006, 02:16 AM
This Guy That's Me

Reel Rock Tour

Skinsk, you may have climbed with Tommy Caldwell, but have you sat across the aisle from his parents at a climbing film festival? That's right, I'll send my autograph later.

You all should see if you can get the Reel Rock Tour to come to the peninsula. We went a couple weeks ago in Estes Park, and it was awesome. The festival included lengthy segments of Dosage IV (Josh Lowell) and First Ascent (Peter Mortimer), antics by Timmy, free bunches-of-stuff, and a handstand contest for a down Montbell jacket. Dahbong!

Before the event we ran into Peter Mortimer at a restaurant across town. He hosted the night along with Timmy O'neil and Topher Donahue.

I had dreamed of bringing the Banff Mountain Film Festival to Korea; maybe you can make both happen.

And if not, you can at least watch the South Park gang play Warcraft (www.wowsouthpark.com).
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
psyched!!!!!!!

i saw the reel rock tour at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky a few weeks ago and it was really really awesome!!!! Both films were excellent and got me psyched! Watching tommy climb the nose and freerider in a day was just incredible and first ascent really explored the psychology of obsession.

both movies are worth picking up on DVD.
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM
peace

Well Jeff, I did climb with Tommy at Kanhyun-- both of us English speakers and all. . . and while I never met his folks, my brother interviewed him at his home (pre-Beth) for Climbing -- a nice connection to have when he came to Korea (besides my being the best English speaker climbing in Korea back then!).

I went to the premier of Mortimer's last (2nd) movie, Front Range Freaks, as my brother (Fred's) company was one of the flick's sponsors. Fred is in Pete's first flick, Scary Faces. I know Timmy from Vic's (coffee shop near Ideal Market. . .) but no autographs please Jeff. . . (I will throw in a shameless plug for Fred's company Sharpend Publishing again!! He does distribute all Peter Mortimer films and his Indian Creek Guide was a Banff Mountaineering Book finalist. . . and he offers a KOTR discount. . . ). . . thanks for the South Park link. . . I'll be in town for Christmas. . . Fred's turning 40 . . . you should come. . . and you owe me coffee

Back to the thread. . . would be nice to get the fest but if not. . . maybe KOTR could pool videos and do a KOTR film night during the dark days of winter (near some ice climbing, preferably!!). . . ricardo may be able to get a projector going (or maybe shagymb, as his place is the only place in Korea where I've seen a projector working really well). . . I know jademonkey and b-team have some good climbing videos, ricardo has (the non-climbing but ultra-cool Micheal Franti vid) and I'd be happy to pick up Mortimer's latest over Christmas break!

Last edited by skinsk : 10-30-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Unread 10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
muse

this sounds like something we should all discuss further at ganhyon this weekend

who's in? if we can plug in a computer at the min-bak, maybe we can huddle around the screen and watch the eiger sanction!

mr merrick - i saw you mentioned the RRG - i have the chance to climb there first weekend in december if i can find transpo from dayton and climbing partners... do you know if it's too cold that time frame and if it's easy to pick people up?

anyway - sorry - i just ruined the thread...

yes, let's bring the reel rock tour to korea. i don't have any personal connection to tommy caldwell or his parents, unfortunately
Unread 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
psyched!!!!!!!

I have climbed at the RRG a number of times in early December but it can be quite cold. Sometimes you luck out and get 55 degree weather and with sun you can climb in t-shirts. Sometimes it is 35 and snowing lightly(however with how steep the cliffs are you can climb anyway if you are psyched enough)

Being that the red is one of the best climbing areas in the US and probably in the top 5 sport climbing areas in the world I would try to make it happen. The climbers stop living at miguels ususally right after thanksgiving so you would need to arrange a parter and not just plan on meeting with people there. Check out http://www.redriverclimbing.com to find a partner and get tons of beta (and spray).

to bring the thread back on topic!! the videos are out now apparently and so my copies should be at my house when I return from korea. then I can watch didie climb 5.14 crack first ascents and dave graham almost flash v14 again and again!!!

ps. I have had the pleasure of climbing with Tommy Caldwell a few times and he is an amazing person. I swear I learn a ton just from being in his presence.