Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Gear > Buy & Sell Gear

Unread 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
character builder

Red face lookin for a car

i'd like to buy a car
big enough for me to sleep in the backseat and tote gear & friends.
hopefully the price is reasonable and the car has good mileage, doesn't break soon.
i'd love to get out of my small town and visit friends more often than weekends.
who wants to help me find a car?

^^;
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:58 AM
verticalcult

Hey Deb! Here's the deal on buying a car the legal and safe way. Kyung Ah just got off the phone with the govt agency and they said:
BEFORE YOU CAN BUY A CAR:
You need a Korean License. An international licence is NOT acceptable if you intend to stay in Korea more than a few weeks. It won't cover you in an accident, you will effectively be an unlicensed driver! But the Korean licence is easy to get. You need:
1-Valid US Drivers licence (not expired).
2-Passport
3-Foreigners ID card
4-3x반명함 sized "passport" photo's; white background (head/shoulders only).
5-processing fee of 14,000won.

You take all this to a Govt licencing centre (any will do, the three closest to you are: Ulsan, Busan and Masan). Here they will give you a medical/eye check and a written rules (yes apparently Korea has road rules) test. You might have to book this in advance, get someone to check with the licence centre of choice. I have a copy of the road rules study book (English) and it's worth studying. You can borrow mine or buy your own for 11,000won.
If you pass all these tests you surrender your US licence (apparently) and get a Korean licence.
But you still can't buy a car yet. You need to join an insurance company policy, such as Samsung Anycar etc. With this you get a free inspector to accompany you to 2nd hand dealers and check over all the legalities of car ownership transfer and so on. KA said she'll help you out with this if you want.
After that you can buy a car! Legally, protected by law and with recourse to help. 교차로 newspaper has a great section on used cars and here in Daejeon we have a good 2nd hand (중고) car market away from coastal rust problems. 2nd hand cars from dealers usually come with some warrantee, and prices can be negotiated down too. Good luck!
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
character builder

car buying

thanks for all the help jakesta,
you're my man for the 411 on cars. i was so impressed after meeting 'toobonnie'

so are you busy this weekend?? i'm hoping to visit daejon and climb... anything.. indoors, outdoors, buildings, walls...
and chat for fun.

if i visit daejon, i'll flip through your book and try to learn korean road rules.
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Seorak Sender

My friend if you didn't buy you car yet let me tell you about my Hyundai Tiburon. It is excellent car in excellent condition. if you are interested please call me 010 9526 5056., It is 1.600.000 won my friend. it is cheap because i will leave soooon.