Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 01-17-2010, 09:04 PM
verticalcult

Jan 29-31 Ice Climbing Swing-shift at Yeong-dong Ice Park

With the comps there finished (by then) and the season well under way, we have decided to put out the call to all ice climber types that wanna be in it, to be about for the weekend Fri 29-Sun 31st January. This event should be huge, and even though the park gets super busy on weekends, we have the sneaky plan of hanging about and making full use of the "open til 9pm on Saturday nights" loophole.
So, grab your fruit boots, ice tools and crampons, slip into a downie and don the skid-lid (helmet), hook up your harness and be part of it!
Basically, this is how it might run.
Friday (for those with such luxury a day at the ice-park til 5pm then return to Base Camp Daejeon.
Saturday head out to Yeong-dong Ice Park as early as feasible and climb through till dinner. Avail ourselves of the great food options there and then, keep on swinging till 9pm. Return to BC Daejeon for a wee sup/ chat/ sleep!
Sunday, those who are still in the land of the living, roll out again for a final blast at the park, or elsewise, perhaps awaken late, visit the Daejeon Wall (Brrrr!) and for the caffeine-fixated types perhaps a visit to the W-Cafe Roasting House for awesome coffee (next to the climbing shop in downtown). Or just chill and head off home with all your memories, bruises and still defrosting digits!
Accomm in Daejeon can prob'ly be provided by Uncle Jake and Aunty KA, also (speaking for them here ) Josh Fuller and other local KOTRers nearby.
If you're in, sweet as a sweet thing! Bravo your life! Just bring your ice-gear, a rope (dry 60m or longer preferably), HELMET!, harness and sleeping/bag....we'll have room for about 12 or so I guess, but not enough blankets. Feel like a sup of an evening? Bring a treat by all means, I'll hopefully have a few bottles to share too. Fri night dinner will be in Daejeon, Saturday lunch and dinner will be at the ice-park. Breakfasts = fend for yourrself, or join us for a quick cuppa and some fruit etc (need to get away early, esp Sat morn so no long breakfasts sorry )
Don't have your own ice gear (axes/ tools, crampons, boots, gloves etc)? Well, we might be able to see you OK....let us know what you lack, and if it's boots too, what size you wear. Try and beg borrow or steal some gear before you come though (local club/ gym, Korean buddies etc) because we really won't have much to share about...and standing around waiting for gear in turns can be a cold experience.
If you are getting in late (ie after we have left from Daejeon circa 8.30am) on either Fri/ Sat or Sunday you can get a bus from the Express Bus Terminal (Daejeon) to Yeong-dong Village (영동군). Takes 1 hour and costs 4800won. 7 per day from 7am til 7.40pm...from the village it should be only a short taxi/ city bus trip out to the ice park...about 15mins I guess....maybe 20,000won at the most (taxi fee). But honestly I dunno.
There are also trains to Yeong-dong Village (영동역), FROM SEOUL they leave at 6.15am, 7.20am, 8am, 8.35am, 9.05am, 9.10am etc etc TAKES 2.5 HOURS
FROM DAEJEON trains also run from 6.20am, 7.46am, 8.17am, 9.21am, 9.51am etc etc and TAKES 30 MINUTES...use the Korea Travel link for a better breakdown from wherever you are.

The ice park has rules for safety and smooth running:
No lead climbing.
People setting Top-Ropes must attach a jumar/ ascendeur to the fixed lines when walking up to the anchors.
Everyone on the climbing side of the river must wear a helmet at all times.
No bringing alcohol, nor climbing when intoxicated (you can have a glass or two by all means at the local restaurants - but moderation is key!)
Don't walk over the river, even if apparently frozen. Use the bridge.
Don't hog a line too much. It will be crowded, so be prepared to share your line and maybe even rope with the occaisional "other" person (especially Koreans)...it usually works like that with teams swapping mutually.
Be super aware of where you are walking. Crampons on a rope at the anchor or belay areas can cut it Careful grasshopper!
Everyone must sign in at the bridge-shipping container hut, and pay the 10,000won fee. You get 10,000won worth of coupons you can use at the local restaurants and gas station (at teh actual ice park only).
OK sign up with requested details and ETAs etc!
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Seorak Sender

Hi Shanja, I'm keen on joining in. From Seoul there is a direct train to Yeongdong arriving at 08H49 (easier since the Daecheon train is indirect I believe and arrives later). I will make my own way to the park and should be there by 09H30 Friday, 29th. I plan to catch the 18H51 to Seoul from Yeongdong on Sunday, 31st.
I have all my own gear and have a 60m rope and 30m rigging rope.
Let me know if there are spaces left to sleep at BC. A space in a car back and forward will also be much appreciated.
Looking forward to it,
Gary.
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Jason

I can fit u in my car backwards and forwards. See you there.
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
verticalcult

Goodonya Gary, Yeah nah, no worries there will be room at BC Daejeon for you and a car space for sure. Thanks! See you Friday!
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Seorak Sender

Cheers Jason and Shanja, see you next Friday!
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
verticalcult

Just a heads up to those attending, thanks for the interest and so on. Looks like about 8 so far are in. Sweet! Now, I'd like to ask those coming to bring any extra gear they can/ are happy to lend. A few people might even be lacking a harness/ belay tool! If you have an extra pair of crampons/ boots/ tools/ helmet/ gloves etc that would be awesome. On teh same note though, if you wanna come, please do try and get whatever gear you are lacking by borrowing/ buying/ whatever. The 2nd floor in O2 Climbing Centre (Ui-dong, Northern Seoul, at the entrance to Bukhansan National Park-Doseon Sa Temple) had quite a bit of cheap used stuff before, and you should all own a helmet anyways! Below is a list of stuff to bring (if possible).
1-Pair of ice-tools
2-Pair of crampons (mountaineering or vertical ice style work fine)
3-Pair mountaineering/ ice-climbing boots that can hold crampons.
4-Helmet. Without it, you simply won't be allowed access to the ice wall.
5-Climbing harness.
6-2 locking carabiners.
7-Rope. Dry ropes of 60m minimun are best, but if we have a few short ropes (50m-60m) we can tie them together and still get by.
8-Long slings! Long? I mean 2-5m long! There are only a few built in anchors, but many trees. With a few long slings (or a section of old rope) you can make a great anchor. Needs a locking biner or two though.
9-Super warm jacket. Down is best, but whatever. Thermal underwear also.
10-Gloves. These need not be super warm Everest mittens. Actually thinner "grippy" water resistant/ proof gloves are better. Ski gloves are OK but a bit bulky.
11-Beanie (or touk for those poor Canadian types) to keep the brain from freezing...best if it can fit under the helmet too.
12-Sleeping bag for staying at our place on Fri and Sat night. We have a few blankets spare and lots of bed/ mattress space but sleeping bag good idea.
13-A cure for a hangover...I'm sure someone will get one and need this invaluable piece of kit.
14-Snack foods etc for the day. On Sat and Sun the restaurants will be open at Yeong-dong, at least til 5pm. They are good and not expensive, but not much there for vegetarians. You might also have a favourite snack (Jenna's "powerballs" spring to mind! )....oh also, KA and I rarely eat breakfast...just coffee and a banana or whatever, so if you need early fuel, best bring that. Dinners will be sorted in Daejeon...probably at a restauarnt or something. Cool?
15-Patience and a sense of humour. Musical skills are good too.
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Jason

I have extra harness Jake, so can cover someone there if lacking.