Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Seorak Sender

Moving to South Korea

Hello, I'm new here. Climber and moving to South Korea.

Not there yet so I can't ask any climbing advice/tips/locations/whatnot. But I'll start with this question

Right now my girlfriend is flying to Seoul to set up the office there and whatnot. Also signing the lease on our new appartment. I want to have a little gift delivered there and I'm looking for the South Korean equivalent of Amazon or something. Books/small gift/something. If you know something Seoul specific that would also work.

Thanks in advance
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:00 AM
peace

Seoul Selection is an English book store in Korea that delivers; G-market an online shopping/resale site that has an English page (you have to go Korean for the bulk of the items). The former has free delivery, the latter a nominal fee. Delivery is cheap and good in Korea. Payment, on the other hand (by credit card) might hold you up! (All my comments are based on experiences over a year ago. Never had a problem with either, though.)
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
...lost again...

I'm guessing you're not military? Because we can get anything delivered from the states to our P.O. Boxes on base, with essentially postage cost of delivery to California. I'm not in Seoul, or I would offer to help.
Unread 12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Seorak Sender

Thanks for the suggestions.

No, I'm not military. And it's really only a small thing I want to send. She's got appointments with 8 clients all over Korea and needs to set up the office and our apartment at the same time. She's only there for 10 days now so it's kinda intense.
While I'm sure she is super stoked about all of this but she can use a little token from home while doing all of this in a country where she doesn't speak the language
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Seorak Sender

New question.

Any English speaking real estate agents/websites you guys can recommend? The current approach isn't paying off and while we can move into the office that's not really a desirable option

Thanks
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Jason

Hi,

I can't offer specific information but I would look at www.worknplay.co.kr which has forums on housing and a number of other things to get u going etc. Personally I would NOT sign a lease while or choose a house while abroad. What you are told and what you get can often be vastly different in Seoul. Heaps of apartments around, and now winter is over people are moving around again changing apartments etc. My suggestion would be to set up some contacts to look at places when u arrive, but stay in a hotel for 3-4 days until u get what u want. 40,000-50,000 a night and comfortable, but will save u a lot in the long run.
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Rope Byrne

I recently got a nice place by going through a Korean agency and making sure I had a translator for the last couple of steps. Amazingly easy once they had an idea of the money I had for my deposit, the size I wanted and the location. Do you know about the Korean ways of renting? Chunsei and wolsei?
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
verticalcult

Hi,
Well Wally it will be a bit involved but, I think if you check out the following linked website for ex-pats in Korea they should be able to see you right. They offer free translation service link as well as moving/ relocation services. I haven't used them personally, but this is a well established and respected site.
http://www.korea4expats.com/
Another good book store in Seol is "What the book", it has a web site and online ordering application (all in English) but I don't have it at my fingertips. A search for the shop would get it though.
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Jason

www.whatthebook.com
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Seorak Sender

I haven't heard of chunsei or wolsei, but i assume that's the "key money" and rent. The more you pay up front the lower your rent is?

We're not looking to buy something from abroad because there's just way too much that can go wrong, but we want to get some groundwork done before we get there.

Also found nearsubway.com but it's all a bit of a jungle so far