Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 06-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
Seaside multi-pitch on Su-U Do, June 26 & 27

Assuming "rainy season" arrives late or decides it's working solely on weekends, I'm going to head down to Su-u Island, south of Samcheonpo, to spend a day/weekend climbing slab multi-pitch on Su-u's seaside wall.

The crag's located on a south-facing wall above a shallow cove on the eastern shore of the island. The cove itself is filled with turquoise waters occasionally visited by schools of iridescently coloured fish (I swear I'm not making this up) and is a great place to swim in between climbs.

As far as climbing's concerned, from what I remember, the wall runs two to three pitches high and hosts climbs ranging from 5.9 through 5.12. All routes are bolted and include anchor stations, although I can't remember exactly how these are set up (it's been a couple of years since I've visited the island and I haven't managed to track down any links to Korean sites with the relevant info.

Attached you'll find a snapshot of the island's location on Google Earth and below, a link to the island in Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...,0.109863&z=14

Over the next two to three days, I'll update this thread with bus and ferry schedules and links to whatever other info on the crag I can find. In the meantime, if you think you might be interested in tagging along, let me know. If enough people decide to come down, we may be able to charter our own boat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Su-u Do.jpg (131.2 KB, 14 views)
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
peace

You know I'm in! Looking forwards to seeing you before I leave for the summer-- and your description makes it sound just lovely!! And until I looked at your map I didn't realize how convenient it is for both the Yeosu/Suncheon climbers and the Geoje/Tongyeongers.
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM
peace

Seoul - Gyeongsangnam-do
(Seoul Nambu Terminal - Samcheonpo Intercity Bus Terminal)
First Bus Last Bus Intervals Fare Distance Duration
09:55 20:00 7 times/day 19800 462.0 4:30

Would probably be good if people could come in Fri night
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Seorak Sender

Turquoise waters and iridescent fish sold me.. I'm coming from Jeonju. It looks like Sacheon is the closest I can get, or maybe Jinju directly? I have to look into this but basically I need to know when and where we can meet up. I'll need a place to stay Friday night. Whether thats directions to a cheap motel or a place to crash, doesn't matter. Let me know what's going on and I look forward to swimming in some clear blue water! Oh and climbing
Unread 06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
Here are copies of a map of Su U and of route maps for three of the island's crags. Looks like we're in for a great weekend!

Su U:

Sin Seon Bawi (the main wall above the eastern cove):

Gorae Bawi on the easternmost point of the island:

Do Duk Gol near Sin Seon Bawi:

Strongly advise that folks bring helmets. I can't remember if it was dropped gear or rock fall, but there were definitely projectiles raining down from above the last time I visited Su U.

Looking forward to the weekend and keeping my fingers crossed for a late start to "rainy season!"