Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Seorak Sender

another bouldering thread

hello,

i will be traveling to korea with my girlfriend sometime in the second half of 2006. other than a little sight seeing and spending some time with her family, i would really enjoy seeing some of the best bouldering areas (developed or not) korea has to offer. i am not limiting myself to a certain geographical area, but would rather travel and see as much as i can. i will have fun climbing anything anywhere, but if possible, i would rather boulder in cooler conditions, and would be more than happy to bring my crash pad if i thought i could put it to use. in addition, i do not mind an hour plus long hike to find amazing boulders, especially if the hike means better bouldering, less people, a more spectacular setting, etc. also, i do not mind climbing on plastic, and if there is a large bouldering competition / climbers rendezvous scheduled sometime this year, perhaps i could plan my trip around it? i apologize for being completely ignorant to anything climbing-in-korea related, and any help, including what months would be more conducive to a cool, crisp bouldering session, would be very much appreciated.

thank you for your time.

brian
boulder, colorado. usa.
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Seorak Sender

additional nagging...

for an 18 day bouldering trip to Korea, around the beginning of November...

do i need to rent a car?

are there items that i might want to use while i am there, but are difficult enough to find in Korea that i should plan on bringing them with me? (like chalk, climbing shoes, peanut butter?)

brian.
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:42 AM
peace

Public transportation, especially from Seoul, is good, but a car is great for out of the way crags. They can be pricy to rent. Be sure to check back here and post closer to your trip-- I'm sure you'll be able to find partners.

You can get chalk and peanut butter in Seoul. You'll want to hit one of the main marrkets-- Namdaemun or Dongdaemun-- check out thee climbing shops! Cliff bars make nice "gifts" and nothing of the sort is available here. Camping gear is available, but you might consider bringing a tent for camping close to the crags.

KNTO will send you maps, travel guides, etc, so you can get an idea off where you're going. I'll probably be back in Boulder for the summer and can help you get some idea of what you'd like to do.
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

hey brian, welcome to the site!

a car will make getting from crag to crag much faster but you can get nearly every where without a car. public trans is really good here. buses and trains will cost between $6 to $30 per trip depending on how far you're going and for train, the quality (all trains in korea are great IMO).

if you dont want to travel with camping gear, finding lodging within 1 hour (via foot and taxi) from most crags is certainly possible. cheap lodging runs about $20 - $35. there are also overnight saunas for a few dollars you can crash there but you cant find too many of these very close to the crags.

that being said, theres a ton of climbing "in" the major cities like seoul, busan, daegu, ulsan and daejeon. if you are staying in these cities, a short bus ride will get you to the trailheads.

you can buy nearly everything for climbing here though most of it is expensive. BD, petzl, ropes and such are through the roof. shoes, harnesses and other trango goods can be picked for cheap. like skinsk said, namdaemun and dongdaemun you will find some good deals. i did see some Gu and powergel in a cycling store so finding nutritional bars and such might be possible in cycling and inline skating stores.

most large cities have a gym or 2 and at least 1 or 2 foreign climbers you might be able to hook up with.

if bouldering is your gig some folks are putting up a lot of routes in insubong. plus its right in seoul.

hth
eric
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Seorak Sender

very much appreciated...

you have made the process of planning a bouldering trip to Korea much less daunting than i had previously feared…perhaps i should stay longer…

although i doubt you will be able to find it of any use, if there is any way i can repay you by providing information to bouldering areas in the us, please let me know…

thank you very much for the information.

brian
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking from a likeminded boulderer...

hey brian, my name's dave, and i've been teaching over here for about 5 1/2 months now. i'm from denver and worked at the Miser, before it went under (we've probably run into each other at the boulders or maybe the shop). anyway, i've been bouldering over here pretty steadily the entire time (actually, i don't know if i'm here to teach ESL or pull on stone...). new problems abound, especially high balls, in beautiful settings, many areas either surrounding or snuggled next to Buddhist sites/temples.

a month is a great time period to check out korea. you'll be able to do the gratiutous seoul thing, check out the areas around/abutted against the city, and then be able to head down south for some other good areas.

i'm definetly not an expert when it comes to ROK's bouldering potential, but it seems basically endless. i've been hanging out at an area called the Insubong campground boulders, or temple boulders, which is in Bukhansan national park right outside seoul. i've been there many, many weekends, and at the very least one or two projects are found every week, or one or two new problems are established. many problems were already established, of course, and are really, really worthy, at any grade. very similiar to the stone of Little Cottonwood Canyon in SLC, though to be truthful, quite a bit more crumbly and degraded. you gotta keep in mind that bouldering is more of a gym training sport over here, and it's practice outdoors as a means to it's own end is really just budding. hence, many untouched boulders are flaky, with crystals popping and crumbling as you climb. after cleaning, it's great, of course.

i'll be back in denver just before november, if you'd like any suggestions or help when it comes to bouldering. also, flip me an email anytime if you need anything.

[email protected]

alright, take care, and have a great summer bouldering in colorado (jealous sigh...),
Dave McAllister
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Mark it eight, dude...

when i said "any help bouldering", i meant any help in preparing your bouldering trip over here.... i...am...retarded...