Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Jiri Jammer

It's now a bit over 3 weeks until I leave for Korea and in starting to pack my bags I am trying to prioritise my gear. I wonder if you guys have any suggestions as to what I should bring with me (climbing wise - obviously I'll have my harness shoes and chalk :-). What is the local ethos on sharing gear ?? will people let me climb on their ropes or should I bring my own, I don't own any trad gear so that is a non-issue :-)

Also are there any carrot bolts on Korea i.e. will I need my bolt plates or is it all Fh's and Ringies and such ??

thanks guys

Colin
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:46 AM
peace

It's been 3 years since I was in Korea (pre-KOtR website!), but at the time, sport was all most Koreans wanted to do. Think steep overhanging limestone. A dozen draws (maybe a few long slings) is a sufficient rack. A gri-gri was the preferred belay device (I was a little picky of who would belay me-- you might observe a partner's technique in advance!)I brought my whole rack-- in 3 years maybe did trad twice and aid once. This time I'm bringing my recommendations above, plus rope, harness, chalkbag, etc. ..

Koreans are group oriented. . . I have even borrowed shoes when I blew out a pair on a trip (got athletes foot). . . but beware, if you are with a group, people will feel free to use your rope if you leave it out (or smoke your cigarettes, etc). Of course, you can do the same. On weekends in a busy area it is common to leave draws up all day because of the convenience. At the end of the day, clean a route and everything finds it's way back.

Things do get back-- I left a blue North Face jacket at the Anyang Wall when I was still pretty new. . .I actually got updated on where it was as it made it's way back to my gym.

OK, I think that answers some of your questions!
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Jiri Jammer

skinsk,

cheers mate, I may try and throw my rope in somewhere just so I have something to contribute to any group trips.

By the sounds it's a good idea to get plugged into the gym community (different from here I'll say, here the plastic and real rock worlds are fairly separate).

thanks again
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:19 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Colin T

I would definitely bring a rope because you might just want to go with one other buddy.

I highly recommend getting into the gym wherever you go. The koreans will definitely get you to the rock ASAP. They are all about the group as skinsk mentioned.

It looks like you are going to be in Seoul. If you like/prefer trad there is some in seoul at Insubong and surrounding areas. You'll definitely need your rack for this place.

hope that helps
eric