Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Need help/advice building small wall in home

I've been toying with the idea of constructing a little 8' X 8' climbing wall in my apartment. We got a lot of space so that's not a concern.

Questions:
  1. Do you have any good plans ("blueprints") for a small wall with an adjustable angle?
  2. Has anyone here made one before? If so, any advice?

OK, thats it for now.

later
eric
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM
peace

Cool!

I worked on small walls and "woodies" (hold the snickers-- that is what small high angle all wooden "wall/roof" things are called) in the States-- friends always had the plans and general construction knowledge. I was the "Sonia cut this here and nail this there" person. Climbing or R&I had info on this, but I would think there's more in cyberspace. Sad to say, my main wall building days were before we all had computers! Here's what I remember. Hope it helps.

The "people who knew" (including Brian, Brad and the guys who opened Boulders gym in Madison) generally insisted on frames no less than 12" spaced (some blueprints called for 18" but that puts extra stress on the panels and frame and can make the panels shake). Drill hold holes before construction (assuming you're using plywood, which every wall/gym I worked on did)! Adjustible would be harder here because you can't really start with the supports in your apt (I am assuming). Wooden holds can be great and cheap and unleash your creativity! All they take is a jigsaw, beltsander and scraps of wood. Drills allow for wicked monos. Also can be fun to put a hueco or two in your main panels if you have a jigsaw (easiest to use the original cutout behind it, but you'll need an extra piece to give it depth; sand well!). Spring for beer and pizza and advertise here to assemble construction crew! You get the guys in Carhardts, I'll be there
Unread 01-19-2006, 05:18 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

design 1

Ok, i was playing with a design on the computer today. feedback and eyeball engineering opinions welcome.

Basically these pics are of the side view of one side of the wall.

Width, height and length is 8 foot. Angles are 60, 70, 80 & 85 degrees. The cool thing is that it collapses into itself making a small box 8'x8'x16".

my biggest concern is the stability of the braxing 2x4's on each side controlling the angle of the wall.

Think it will work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wall_collapse.jpg (11.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wall_60.jpg (25.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wall_70.jpg (24.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wall_80.jpg (22.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wall_85.jpg (21.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wall_all.jpg (42.4 KB, 4 views)
Unread 01-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Aggressive Sheep

I don't have any experience with this but I would suggest a 4x4 for a stronger angle brace. also there might be quite a 'bow' in the middle without any horizontal support between the sides (and mounted to the vertical supports).
ya know, by the looks of this when you lay the wall flat you will have a band stage!! I like your multi-purpose train of thought!!
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:09 PM
peace

Neat designs. What is the base (made of)? My biggest concern would be the support "hopping" out if the boulderer "bounces" or dynos too hard. I suppose that could be locked in. Adjustability certainly adds to the variety.

On another note, when I climbed at "the barn" in WI, we had a really steep woodie-- as people made and added (these were glued and bolted and pretty permanent) holds, they could name them (one word or name). Nothing obscene. The fun was to create new problems, do them, and write them on the walls. We had such classics as "How the wind terminates skinny dudes" I did "Sarah pulls but muscles," which amped Sarah to pull off "Sonia pulls but muscles" (different start, same middle and ending. . . ) making various starts and endings possible and keeping the same basic grammar. "Gnarly" is a good word, so is "not", "smell", . . . balance the nouns, adj/adv and verbs. Naturally, grammar is often compromised ("reach for the wind of my end") homonyms are often pulled into play, verbs can be used in any tense and well, Konglish could add yet another dimention. Better than blue to blue to blue to blue or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, . . . and easy to remember. Often people would come to woody and skip the ropes altogether!

Finally, on another differnt note, I'll head to Boulder next week and see what I can find in the old climbing mags.
Unread 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo
ya know, by the looks of this when you lay the wall flat you will have a band stage!! I like your multi-purpose train of thought!!
my secret desire is to be a rock star. this will get me one step closer. stage presence is everything! (and now i finally have a reason to use this smiley)

about the wall, you guys hit on 2 of my concerns.

the first one being eliminating the bow in the middle. do you think spacing the framing 2x4s on the backside to 12" will eliminate the bow? what about stability? sonia?

the second, and i think more crucial concern, is the angle braces moving from their grooves. i haven't figured this one out yet. i even tried drinking a few pitchers of beer with a clmbing buddy, but nothing... that usually works...

back to the drawing board, ie. photoshop.

any engineers on this site???

eric
Unread 01-20-2006, 06:04 PM
peace

You're in luck. Rick and I are probably getting together this weekend so we'll discuss it over drinks and call or e-mail!! (I'm sure you're welcome to join!!)

The thing is, I've only ever worked on static walls that used some pre-existing supports, though I don't think 8' with 12" supports will buckle, even if the "heavyweight champion of the world" double dynos. I was assuming vertical and horizontal supports. Might be interesting to check the SK, Discovery sites, etc. . . they might have plans, and I wonder what their panels cost? I was wondering if simple latches (like for doors) would anchor the supports? (maybe 2 apiece) for minimal cost. I just worry that this is so easy I am missing some big reason why this wouldn't work, and I will look silly!I will try to get some friends/family to look at this page when I am home. And of course, people in this forum could gladly point out any potential problems with this and I won't feel bad! I am so not an engineer, and I have pretty limited construction experience (or maybe alot, just spread thinly across the years!) and I don't know alot of technical terms. I just sort of describe what I need and what I am doing to the friendly folks at McGuckins and they usually bring me to the right area. This could be more difficult at Tongdaemun!

One of the things I miss most in Korea is building and construction work, esp figuring out the details-- you really have me psyched about the wall. I also have about 2 dozen? wooden holds I made years ago (for an ex-boyfriend but we broke up, alas, before his birthday) that have been sitting in my parents basement/attic for about 7 years. . . I'd be ready to donate them if you want them (all have words on them, but you could change "Jerry" to "Eric" with only 3 letters. . .). . .they are not too heavy and I'd rather see them get some use than take up space.
Unread 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

sonia,

let me know what you and ric come up with over drinks. and if alcohol doesnt help the 2 of you then beta from home would be appreciated!

thanks for the holds offer but lets wait on that. if this thing starts to take off before you come back to korea, i'll drop you an email but i just dont want to be stuck with a whole bunch of Jerry holds, no offense to Jerry.

there are still a few things that stand in the way, besides the "blueprint". after the plan is solidified, then i need to find all the materials and the biggest crux, tools.

ricardo, do you have tools at your job?

have fun this weekend and let me know if you have soju revelations.

later
eric
Unread 01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
peace

Only one "Jerry" the rest are generic! But I'd need to know my late Feb.

Soju? Come on! Maybe a Marg, G&T, a good Shiraz. . . (Do we really sound like soju on the phone?)
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Rock On

Hey Eric,

I have played with the Idea of building my own indoor wall before but like sonia I was looking at a static set up.

This looks like a great design but here in Korea this might be really expensive. This country used to be treeless you know.

I did up a few design suggestions at work but did not send them in I will get those uploaded tommarrow.

Two by twelves are sturdy and all but dam heavy(Guess that could be part of your work out).

If you are worried about slipedge from the slots I would use two two by twelves with a thin piece of ply wood between them to give some seperation like a Header for a door. Before you bolt them together I would use a router to cut the notches and you could drill a hole for a pin of some kind.

Two by twelves for the wall itself might be ok but you will still want some cross bracing. Personally I would go with two by Sixes. As for the tilt system pipe with grafite on it would work for both the legs and the base ti would end up being wider then four feet but those are the brakes.

Safety would be my only concern landing on two by twelves could really suck...

As for tools I know we have a wood working shop on Post and I have some tools that I will be getting some day when my wife shows up but I will have to look into both to see if I can take stuff off post.

Oh yah I used to build sets for plays so that is where the building knowledge is coming from. We used to do all kinds of platfroms and stuff like that. I also helped add on to the gym that I worked at in Wisconsin.

As for holds E-Bay( I can see sonia cringing ) Usually has some good deals if nothing else they sell T Nuts by the butt load and you will need a bunch of those.

Talk at you later

Mike