Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 06-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Seorak Sender

Hi again, couple of questions...

1. Are there shower facilities near the entrance of Jirisan National Park? The reason I ask is because my group will be camping/hiking for four days, then will have to get on a bus to Pusan, then either a plane or bullet train back to Seoul... so everyone might be a little ripe.

2. A question on shelters... do you still need a stove or lanterns?

3. At the entrance, there's a campsite... are there shelters near the entrance too?

Thanks,
Dylan
Unread 06-23-2004, 02:33 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

I can only answer question number 2.

Yes you will need stoves and lanterns.

Maybe some other folks might have beta about Jirisan. I don't have much considering I've only been there once, for a weekend.

eric
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Seorak Sender

Jirisan shelters and facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Hi again, couple of questions...

1. Are there shower facilities near the entrance of Jirisan National Park? The reason I ask is because my group will be camping/hiking for four days, then will have to get on a bus to Pusan, then either a plane or bullet train back to Seoul... so everyone might be a little ripe.

2. A question on shelters... do you still need a stove or lanterns?

3. At the entrance, there's a campsite... are there shelters near the entrance too?

Thanks,
Dylan

There are campsites at some of the entrances to Jirisan, but they are only open for select months out of the year (usually July-Aug). It's retarded. The shelters (there are 9) are mostly on the ridge--3-4 hours hike from civilization. With the exception of Seseok Shelter, the others just provide you with a roof over your head and nothing else. They're like sheds, where people crash on the floor. You have to bring everything. I'm attaching a map of the East part of Jirisan which shows all the trails, campsites, shelter locations, and points where you can stock up on drinking water.
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Jiri Jammer

holy crap! what a cool map! where did you get it? does it continue for the west side of the park, too?

Also, all the places listed to get water - that's clean water that i don't have to drop an filter/iodine or anything, right? I assume so, but this is something I would like to be sure of

also, for mods: should this thread and the other thread be merged?
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Seorak Sender

national park maps

I'm in the process of creating detailed English maps like this for all of Korea's mountain parks, based on a combination of 2-3 different existing Korean maps and my own experience in the parks. I'm actually heading to Jirisan this weekend. When I get back, I'll post the East Jirisan map and give instructions on where to find and download it. Yes, it continues to the west part of the park, but I haven't completed that just yet. So far I have maps for Songnisan, Juwangsan, and Gajisan/Yeongnam Alps areas completed.

As to your question about water sources, all of the spots marked on the map are freshwater springs. You don't need to filter or purify. Just fill your bottle and drink up.

Cheers.
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
verticalcult

isipau mate,
Thanks for putting in so much effort and taking the time to make those maps. I'm sure a great many people will find them greatly useful. Champion! Although I must say we found shelters are somewhat less basic than implied (I can only compare them to shelters in NZ and Oz)...we went from Nogodan through to Baengmudong (I think) about 40km in all, in winter, and the services were all OK, heated floors inside, blankets available for rent, instant food at outrageous prices (though choice very limited), and even when we didn't have a reservation (we altered course and arrived at a different shelter from originally planned/booked) we were able to sleep in the foyers with dozens of other hikers, not out in the woods (which would have been preferable - no snoring!). But it is a crap shoot and at Chuseok....you are spot on. Sooooooooooooooo busy.
Jake and Kyung Ah
Unread 09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Seorak Sender

Good to know

Thanks Shanja. That's helpful info. I haven't hiked the western side of the park yet, but I'm planning a trip out there soon. Sounds like those shelters are pretty nice.

I have heard, though, that they are trying to crack down on people who just show up without reserving spots. Don't know how they'd do that exactly. I guess the caretakers find it hard to turn people away, because they know things happen and hikes don't always go according to plan. Actually, the NPS updated their English website recently with a page for making reservations. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. I called them Wednesday to try to reserve for Saturday and they said the eastern shelters were completely full and there were 30+ people on the waiting list. Here's the res page:

http://english.knps.or.kr/knps_eng/p...rvation_02.asp