Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

Unread 07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
verticalcult

Exclamation Changed Roads near Halmae Bawi and Seonunsan

G'day boys and girls, hope all are well. If you are thinking of tripping over to Halmae/ Seonunsan by car, be aware that there are some changes in the roads, which could quite easily see you driving all over the county looking like a right fool, and wasting that precious climb time. I speak from experience!
If you are going straight to Seounsan, you are lucky, it's a breeze. Just go straight on the newly opened section of super road (22) which starts just after you get off at Seounsan IC; or if you have come through JeongEup IC at the T-junction where the Seonunsan IC branch comes in on your left; and BINGO! it spits you out right at Seounsan village intersection (you know the Petrol Station and sexually explicit Totem pole decorated restaurant). You don't go past the lake or through the little village anymore.
BUT IF YOU WANNA HEAD STRAIGHT TO HALMAE from either Seonunsan IC or JeongEup IC, not Seounsan you must get off this super new road (22) at Buan Gyo Cha Ro (부안교차로), by turning right onto the old familar road that swings past the lake etc. It is marked as (turn right for) Bongam-ri (봉암리) Buan (부안).Miss it and you'll be at Seonunsan having to backtrack via Gochang (which although possible is more confusing, longer and under roadwork in many places). I will post the road signs to look for about this under Halmae bawi in the rock climb thread.
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Aggressive Sheep

when heading to halmei bawi i usually take the gochang exit anyway. less traffic and faster even with the road construction.
-take first right after leaving tollgate
-take first right (at stop light)
-take this road over many speed bumps until you're in a small town and see a brown sign for seonunsan pointing right (about 10-15 minutes)
-take this road until you see halmei on your right

edit: sweet news on the seonunsan road! that's going to be so much faster on a two lane straightaway!!!
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
peace

Y'all should post new beta and maps on the individual areas too!!
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
peace

I saw you added the navigational photo, but it might be worth contacting the original posters and/or Eric and/or adding comments . . . and of course, if the entrance fee is in place, it should be duly noted.