Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Seorak Sender

New to Climbing and Korea

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to both climbing and Korea - I just arrived yesterday in Seoul and will be here for about two months as part of a joint program with a Korean company. I took up climbing indoors at a gym a few months ago, and am hoping to keep it up over the summer, especially since I had to take the last month and a half off due to elbow injuries.

I've been poking around the forums here a bit, and unfortunately it seems like my lack of knowledge of both Korean and Seoul geography are going to be problems... as well as the fact that Korea doesn't seem to have many toprope gyms, and I haven't learned much else yet.

Any thoughts? I'll be staying in Jongno-gu and working in Seocho-gu... ideally, I'd love to find a place nearby since my schedule is going to be a little irregular on weekdays.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Geoff
Unread 06-15-2008, 12:26 AM
peace

There are plenty of bouldering gyms, and those gyms with leading also have top-roping. Showing up at an outdoor wall/crag you can probably snag a ride. Kanhyon, about 2 hours from Seoul via railroad, has easy sport climbs you can learn to lead on!

Meanwhile, fill out your profile a bit, come out on the weekends and explore the country. . . welcome
Unread 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
velocity girl

art climbing center is located right by jongno-5-ga ^^

the climbers there are pretty cool...it's just a bouldering gym, but they can probably hook you up for trips to crags or to find partners for wall climbing and such...

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)