Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Snow Leopard

Korean Mountaineering League

I've just signed up with KOTR. Must say the community definitely seems tight. Glad to be aboard. Now for my shameless plug (don't worry, Eric authorized it).
I'm the founder and president of the Korean Mountaineering League. The KML is a non-profit NGO whose primary focus is the preservation of Korea's mountains. Our field work consists of locating and removing trash and recyclable materials from the mountains. Once the material has been removed it is properly disposed of. We also engage in trail inspection, which consists of monitoring high traffic areas, and how the parks authorities work in the parks (we uncovered some shocking things about the parks authority in Bukhansan around the Bibong-Hyangrobong route regarding handling of trash. I arranged a meeting with the cheif ranger of the region and he put a stop to the activity. Thumbs up).
We are involved in campaigns (letter writing and lobbying) and are currently hosting a campaign called 'Pack it It, Pack it Out', with the sub-campain 'Root of the Problem'. More info about the campaigns (and a petition) can be seen (and signed) on the KML's website.
We are currently working with the Korean Ministry of Environment to make environmental news more accessible, especially to Korea's English speaking expat community. Furthermore, the MOE is currently working to help the KML get articles published and distributed to a large reading audience.
So, to end my shameless plug, I invite all KOTR members to visit the KML's website. Eric has been extremely helpful and gracious and has put a link to the KML's site on the bottom of every KOTR page.

The KML needs help to move forward with its work. We have been featured in Korean media (newspapers, television), but we need a greater working unit. I think most of us who go to the mountains revere them. The mountains offer release and comfort, and we are commited to help in the conservation of the integrity and ecology of mountain environments and their sensitive endemic species.
Any comments/remarks can be made here on this thread.

Thanks, gang.

PS. Eric and I have semi-discussed a collaboration between KOTR and KML. Anyone interested in getting together for some beers in Seoul some night, get the two groups together for some down time?
Unread 12-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Aggressive Sheep

Wow! Excellent campaign Hypoxic; one that's much needed. The mind set of leaving trash behind in beautiful ecological sanctuaries has always left me scratching my head. I'm sure there will be much enthusiasm for your goals from the folks on this board since just about everyone I've climbed with have made a solid attempt to leave the crag cleaner than we found it.
I'm sure others are wondering this...is there a different membership buy-in for the economically disadvantaged (student/teacher/etc.)? Working with other non-profits I've found that having different rates increases the members -> publicity -> funds as opposed to one membership level and accepting any donations.
You can definitely count me in for the joint 'meet and greet' and any upcoming cleanup projects (which should be posted in the events forum). Are your clean-up's all in the Seoul region or do you have events all over the country? Let me know if I can help organize anything in the central west coast region.
I'm curious if KML has looked at the impact of invasive species on biological integrity. Non native invasives can wreak havok on an ecosystem killing entire watersheds) To be honest I'm not sure if it's even a problem here. I've seen some area's where vines have taken over small areas and it makes my skin crawl (hopefully all for naught). It's hard for me to look at Japanese Knotweed without disdain remembering that it's native here. I've spent countless hours clearing invasives Oregon in and would not mind ripping out the Korean invasives at the crag or on the trail (although I can't find a Korean plant ID book in english).
Anyway...excellent site; excellent campaign! cheers!
-rick

and welcome to KOTR!
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Snow Leopard

Sorry about the slow reply. Thanks for your support.
We'll consider what you said about memebership. We usually get only volunteer support anyway. Donations are also accepted; we'll most likely allow all donators membership at the end of the first season (April). The cleanups are prepared to take place all over Korea. We are interested in networking with interested parties in other parts of Korea to expand the KML's work. For example, if there are enough interested, dedicated people around, say, Busan, we will establish a Busan Chapter with a Council that works under the main Council (here in Ilsan).
Since you mentioned invasive species, the KML has begun looking into the problem's existence in Korea. As for a plant ID book in English, I remember seeing one at Kyobo Bookstore in Seoul a while back; there was an animal book as well, both in the vain of Audobon. Once enough information is found, the KML will publish it on its website.
Unread 04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Snow Leopard

Hello, everyone. I apologize that I haven't done more to keep this post alive, but, admittedly, I was bummed by the little interest/response that the post received from the start. I guess I figured, as mountaineers, most here would be interested in an environmental group that focuses on the ecology and biodiversity of the mountains right here in our adopted backyards.
Nonetheless, I will try again.

April 22 is the Korean Mountaineering Leauge's first birthday; April 22 is also Earth Day; April 23 is our Earth Day 2006 Cleanup; and April 24 is the anniversary of our very first cleanup.

I would like to invite everyone here at KOTR who is concerned, willing, and able to join us on the 23rd in Bukhan-san. If you can't, then I encourage everyone to do something, no matter how small, in support of Earth Day.

Any questions about the cleanup can be directed to me right here, or you may visit the KML's website. Eric has graciously provided a link to the KML's site at the bottom of each page.

For info on Earth Day events in Korea visit the Earth Day Network's website via this link: http://www.earthday.net/programs/find/searchEvent.aspx . Simply find South Korea in the 'country' search box.
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:39 AM
climbergrrl

Although I have plans for the afternoon, I'd be interested in coming out to the Clean-Up Day in the morning. How early do you guys start? I guess I could just go out and clean up trails regardless, but it's more fun with other people!

Glad to hear of the work you guys are doing, and would really like to stay informed about how I can join any future activities. Thanks!

Dee
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Snow Leopard

You're welcome to join us anytime. We usually get our first team on the mountain by 10am. Then subsequent teams follow. Each team takes a different trail. The KML does a cleanup once a month, and we work on our campaigns, talking with officials, letter writing, etc. between cleanups. You can help us out in any form if cleanups are not your bag.
It would be great to have you along for this cleanup but don't ruin your afternoon plans. Stay in touch and you can join us next time if it suits you.
Thanks for the interest!