Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Accidents & Injuries

Unread 04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Halla Hanger

Good guess, Sonia - Gwangyang-Eup. The gym is right across from the train station, and they were super-cool folks. I was really sad it took too long to get there from where I lived!

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but my guess would be that all of the climbers in that general area (at least in Suncheon, probably over to Yeosu) were involved with that club - for people with a vehicle, it wasn't far from any of those locations. I am pretty sure there wasn't a club out of Suncheon (I had a co-teacher check it out for me last year) and I don't think Brandon or Terri were able to find anything closer in Yeosu.
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
peace

Thanks Jess! Found it! They're super cool! made contacts! yeah. . . also, they seemed very receptive to the anchor replacement idea. . . esp if we supply the anchors! Might make some of those "first leads" less scary!
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
verticalcult

Exclamation

OK well it likes like we are ON! The wheels are in motion and the greenlight is err...green. So Here is the e-mail I just got from Greg:

Hi Jake and Sonia, First, Jo Han Ik, the man who set up most of the climbs at Yoengsa,wants me to clearly express his sincere thanks for your offer. He wasreally quite pleased when Hwae San spoke to him yesterday. Han Ikwould like to meet with anyone who wants to be involved at Yoengsa onSunday, May 18th to start the work. He feels a second day - at alater date - will be necessary to do everything though. In the meantime, he's like you to create a list of what you feel needsto be replaced. From what I have seen, the second to last hanger onAkdong should at least be reset, it's on an awkward angle so torquesthe carabiner on falls. The belay cable at the top of Juliet shouldalso be replaced and there is a rather ugly belay atop one of theclimbs on the far right. It currently uses a tree for the anchor andhas no hook for clipping in a rope. Maybe we could set up a realanchor there. Lastly, the second bolt and hanger on Mat-dwaeji arerusty, although they still seem sound. I can relay any messages you need to Han Ik or could get his phone ifyou want to contact him directly.

Now dear friends is the time to step up and volunteer to help out with the rebolting. I'm sure the day would also involve lots of climbing action too...so it's not all work. If you haven't been to Yongseo but want to go/ join, post here or pm me and I can maybe give you a lift down. It's a great crag, and a must visit place.

Thanks and best, Jake and Kyung Ah.
Unread 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Halla Hanger

I'm happy to belay for folks who actually know what they are doing. I don't know much about the actual mechanics of doing the work, but would like to help.
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Belay Caddy/Slave

I should be in as well. My dad will be here so we might just do a drive by and help for a short time...
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
peace

hey. . . I got that same e-mail jake! anyway, i made a reservation for jeju-do before i even visited akdong alpine club with our offer. . . so i'll not be able to attend this weekend-- dang! i sent jake a copy of my unfinished route info. . . anyone else who's going and wants to tick a list. . . let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy!

also, not sure what my W30k is worth, but I nominate two routes on Akdong wall for new anchors: 5. 홍만 5.11b, 13m, 7bolts Beautiful overhanging crack that splits the face. I photographed Kim-lee on this and belayed Miguel. . . both really enjoyed it, at least until the anchor. . . on my turn I refused to unclip the last bolt because looking up at that thing is just too scary. . .
6. 태호 5.10b, 12m, 5 bolts- Colorful, slightly dirty corner crack that was my nemesis-- until I sent it. . . another really classic favorite climb here, that has a dodgy anchor! (oh, maybe someone could bring a broom and clean it too?!).

If someone gets a butterfly or fishing net and cleans the 5 dead frogs and 1 dead snake and 1 old broom from the pools, I will give them W10,000. please take photos and carry the dead things out. . .

Please take lots of great photos-- of the rebolting, the critter-cleaning and of course, the routes and climbers (from above, looking at the route or camera!!)

The good karma to doing all of this is priceless! Y'all'all rock!
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
verticalcult

Thanks for the route retro-fit suggestions! That is exactly what we need - and people to be in all those climbing pics too! I'm hoping to cruise down Saturday if anyone wants a lift, just ask.