Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Gear > Buy & Sell Gear

Unread 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Working it out

Holy Mark-Up Batman!

So I've decided to start looking for a rope and draws. I did some online shopping (from American companies) and noticed that prices typically ranged from $14-$19 per draw. Tonight I did some shopping at a few gear stores, and I nearly had a heart attack. I saw draws for 35, 40, even 50 thousand won!!!! Most of them were the same ones I saw online. Is there no where in Seoul to buy reasonably priced gear?!?! I like to see and feel what I'm buying before I throw over my card, but I will order online if it's going to save me a tone. I really, really couldn't believe it. (Jake, I'm going to look at those sites you posted in Jessica's thread...thanks!)

I guess now I'm looking for opinions from you seasoned veterans--what draws do you love? Which ones do you hate? Is bent gate really better than straight gate? How about wire gates? Rope beta would be good--so far I know I should get a 60m, dynamic, single, dry rope not less than 10mm. Anything else?

nicole
Unread 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
peace

Fta

yeah, well, so I wonder if the newly inked FTA includes quickdraws!

as it is, imports cost. especially when they're friggin heavy metal and rope!! i made a lot of korean friends in the early days by bringing back black diamond harnesses and ropes. . . fortunately, a lot of (clothes and shoes) are made in china these days-- and a lot of shoes and gear-- 5.10, trango, camp (italy) were/are made in korea. . . these are where you see the real deals in korea. with rope, there's really no choice but import, but i've heard people get decent prices (under $200). . .

draws you say? if you check the alpsville link i put in jessica's post, you still go 8 down under "shopping category" (to climbing) and then go 6 down for quickdraws. . . they have options (meteor 15000, lucky 15/16,000, kong 20,000, mad rock 21,000). . . i assume all of these are working tested quickdraws (and after i post this i am going to google check). . . i have trango, they work for me. . . i have friends at trango, my draws were free. . . in the past i've had petzl and black diamond (again, friends and connections) and they were also fine. . . but living in the desert and too many seasons on thai beaches will render even the most expensive draws dysfunctional and trade-able for camel rides, henna tattoos, etc. i've never seen/heard of a biner failing, or the sewn-sling part of a quickdraw! it may happen, but not to my knowledge. . .but i always get what i get free, and retire (trade to a camel guy) when the elements render it useless (when i need both hands to open or close the biner). . . if you find something online from the usa (and esp if you need a rope), cozy up to our us military friends (actually nicole-- not a bad idea as there are still a few single and hot ones out there!)
Unread 04-18-2007, 10:58 PM
peace

quick check

i just did a quick check that revealed no hideous quickdraw accidents-- now maybe you'll save .5 gram with a more expensive set (the same as if you spit before climbing)--- or you'll look "cooler" with the more expensive names dangling from your harness. . .

if anyone else has a different perspective, i'm open to hearing it. . . i know my expensive draws become just as unusable after a few seasons in thailand. . .

harnesses-- i've had bad and i have opinions; shoes. . . really depends on the weearer and the feet. . . gear. . . omega pacific cams are sweet and worth every penny of (ok, i got it free). . . but quickdraws. . . i've clipped 'em all. . . and still say, go for the cheap/free ones. . . none last forever anyway! and girl, seein' as you're in korea you might as well take 'em to thailand once, and that'll kill even the best of them
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Halla Hanger

If you're every in Daegu, you should check out OK outdoor store. The prices on their price tags are high, but they ALWAYS give 20-30% off the proce tag. Kong quickdraws are 18, 000 won. Not a bad price (I think). Edelweiss rope 188, 000won. Not too bad either.