Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
verticalcult

Spring 2008 Meet and Greet Food Thread

OK so here is where we can debate what menu plans we are gonna do, and who will bring what ingredients etc.
Traditionally it's been a Saturday night of Tex-Mex foods, but this has also always been supplemented by Sam-Gyeop-Sal, Thai curries and so on. Pot-luck also works fine and avoids disappointments when someone who was bringing a key ingredient bails (bales?). Think about preparing as much as you can at home beforehand. Peel those spuds, carrots, onions etc. Pre-chop your garlic and tomatoes. Shredd the cheese beforehand etc. It's a hassle doing this in the poor light and sanitation of a camp-ground - and it saves time and mess.

Oh if you have any killer allergies to something please post it here too. If you die of anaphalactic shock because of the peanut oil in someones satay supremo curry delight, when they didn't know anyone was allergic, your bad.

Finally buy (locally) a few proper rubbish bags (you know them, the old green "seu-re-gi-bong-tu" bags) for the clean ups. Split the costs of a 100L or 50L bag with friends. Try to avoid bringing glass bottles (plastic can be crushed down smaller and is not gonna get broken) and maybe we should have a "foods scraps bin" because the wash-up sink drains get soooooooo blocked and yukky with everyone tryig to wash away their crap. Paper plates mightn't be the greenest answer, but dirty plates could be burned maybe, cutting back on the land-fill and detergent in the water supply situation.
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
peace

I will have one stove, one (vegetarian) grill, ice chest, random pots pans and utensils including can opener. I will make Thai curry/vegetarian for anyone who RSVPs Friday night-- when you RSVP we can work out what you can contribute towards the meal, including labor (Jenn's gone, so someone else might want to step up with Mai Tais?). . . Sunday I will make some lattes, skinny, soy and organic chai on request (BYODecaf coffee); anyone else have an espresso maker and/or milk frother? as there are limits to my ancient one-shot.
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
tinker bell

i'll bring alcohol. 1 large bottle of tequila and margarita mix a few bottles of wine and if anyone has any requests post it here. please rememeber that alcohol weighs alot so dont get to excited and ask me to bring a bar with me in my back pack.
Unread 03-09-2008, 08:34 PM
peace

Quote:
1 large bottle of tequila and margarita mix a few bottles of wine

I have some "plastic" glasses. . . and I'll get some ice for the margs!
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Jiri Jammer

How about Sangrias (spelling???) for the mexican night as well?? I know that they have big bottles of the wine mix at Costco... then we could mix it in a hollowed out watermelon and bunch of cut up fruit???
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:38 PM
verticalcult

OK I'll do the banana and walnut pancakes thing on Sunday breakfast. I have maple syrup already and will bring an alternative topping as well. If we wanna do the Tex-Mex thing I can go to costco and pick up the totillas and shredded cheese too. Kyung Ah will most likely not be coming (she has her Uni MT on 5/6th and exams on 12/13th) so the cuisine from my end will be poorer than usual. Fear not Colby, I'll bring some of that Kim Chi you liked though, and maybe even a good jji-gae (stew).
Unread 03-23-2008, 03:15 PM
peace

I have a (no-stick)pan, spatula and (post latte) stove for pancakes.

Mike, should I grab a lime for the Marg fixins'.
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM
mastering the pull-up

Kris and I will bring another stove/pan/spatula/mixing bowl set for making pancakes... as long as some of them come out sans nuts!
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Aggressive Sheep

jake, unless you've already stocked up, i can take care of the tortillas, shredded cheese, refried and black beans, jug-o-salsa, and sour cream. avacados too if someone wants to make guac on site. (donations accepted)
if there are any other items from base that you (anyone) want me to pick up, let me know and we can arrange a deal.
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
mastering the pull-up

Oh, Kris and I can also bring some tomatoes for the burritos. If it was a couple weeks later I might even have been able to bring fresh cilantro! But alas, my herbs are still growing.