Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 12-13-2007, 03:46 AM
http://novebi.ning.com

Ciao from Italia !

And compliments for this fantastic site !

It lets me discover there's a lot for climbing in Korea too ...
Is climbing a popular sport in Korea ?
More or less than here in Europe ?

Thanks for Your kind answers.

Ciao
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
peace

Nice site yourself (9b)! Did you make it?! I'm not sure if I could compare Korea (small country) to Europe, but there is plenty of climbing here. . . and a very unique climbing subculture. . . soon, very soon, there will be a handy English guidebook to the area

Lots of temples and saunas for rest days, but the wine and pizza certainly don't compare to Arco!

You are welcome to come here and see for yourself!!
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Nice site yourself (9b)! Did you make it?! I'm not sure if I could compare Korea (small country) to Europe, but there is plenty of climbing here. . . and a very unique climbing subculture. . . soon, very soon, there will be a handy English guidebook to the area

Lots of temples and saunas for rest days, but the wine and pizza certainly don't compare to Arco!

You are welcome to come here and see for yourself!!

Thank You Skinsk , for registering at 9b too ...

Yes, I'm working on 9b, but I hope every climber will contribute on it, on listphile too, that could become a kind of wikipedia for climbing ... and for climbers !
Me alone I'm nothing, but we all climbers together are a power.

As soon as possible I will go to climb in Korea, why "very unique climbing subculture" ?
If You pass in Italy, I live just 2 hours driving from Arco ...

Ciao
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
peace

I say "sub-culture" because of the numerous neighborhood, business, apartment complex, etc walls, gyms and "clubs". . . unlike the sleek business models in the west, and the crazy, full-on attitude of many of the locals. Where else in the world do cities, counties, neighborhoods erect climbing walls in fitness parks along the river and offer citizen's climbing classes. . . restaurants sport sport climbing crags out of their back windows so patrons can watch flood-lit climbers pulling down into the night. . . there's a giant bull-shaped outdoor wall practically in the middle of nowhere!

There are numerous Korean websites and blogs, and a few magazines (though they cover all of climbing and mountain culture) The foreign climbing community here owes Eric, the founding father of KOTR a lot. . . you should contact him . . . a brilliant website maker and just awesome all-around guy, in Canada now!

I was just in Switzerland/Austria/Slovenia and surrounds this summer. . . but nursing a broken foot! Still. . . I have fond memories of the espresso, pizza, wine, ice cream in Arco (2001). . . oh, yeah, and the cliffs!
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks !
So I would say "up-culture" in Korea ...

Sites, forums, blogs, magazines: that's what I'd like to "wiki" (edit with climbers contributions) with intelligent and open climbers as You, all over the world.

You know, now if I'm here in Italy is not so easy to have all Korean (or Japanese, or Spanish, ...) climbing informations collected in one place.

That's the reason why I'm working on 9b: to give climbers instruments to share informations, partnerships, language/cultural exchanges, ... and other.

For sure I can contact Eric, if he wants, he's welcome to reach 9b too !

Ciao, grazie again.

p.s. in Arco it's quite famous the BIG cappuccino, You have to try it ...