Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: Which dates would you like the Spring M&G this year?
March 19-21 1 2.56%
March 26-28 4 10.26%
April 2-4 1 2.56%
April 9-11 10 25.64%
April 16-18 20 51.28%
April 23-25 9 23.08%
April 30-May2 13 33.33%
May 7-9 3 7.69%
May 14-16 4 10.26%
May 21-23 (21=Buddha's B/day + Parents Day) 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
verticalcult

Spring 2010 Meet and Greet DATE Poll

OK So the ex-pats are getting restless. This poll is for the DATE only. When do you want the Meet and Greet? You can choose more than one weekend. It will never suit everyone, and it might rain...but an M&G is always awesome.
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
verticalcult

Oh, and please, I haven't put up a WHERE/ Which crag poll yet...that will come, but I hope everyone can read back about this debate first. It's always an issue, but the basic problems and needs remain the same. If you know of a crag you think could be god for a M&G, post it under the thread for WHERE, not here. Later we'll have a poll.
If we have multiple crags we might go with multiple dates too. Try and be flexible and post al the dates you could come, then come to all the M&G's!
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
peace

If we wait too long (May). . . everyone we "meet" will be heading out for the summer!! I prefer to "meet" early. . . then make plans with everyone for those other weekends (a great time to check smaller and more remote crags )
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
verticalcult

It's snowing in Daejeon today. So I hope the M&G wherever and whenever is better weather. I know lots of people love Yongseo Pokpo....but it has very limited toilet/ water facilities and camping. The rumours are that Halmae Bawi might again be open and being re-bolted....if so, that would certainly make Seonunsan more attractive for newer climbers...great 5.8-5.10b routes as well as many harder routes, and of course Seoksal Bawi and Tugu Bawi in the park proper have great hard routes aplenty. The camp ground there is pretty good, access not hard at all, and it's traditional. So that would probably get my vote. Maisan is another option that hasn't been used in the past. Albawi has 5-6 good beginner routes, though the rock itself can be a bit chossy and the harder folk have Opera House 10-15mins away....but both of these crags are smallish and safely handle less than 20 odd people at each. The camp site is good though, down by the lake and has the option of a yurt that sleeps 20!
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:45 AM
peace

Well, I wouldn't suggest this weekend Snowing in Jeonju as well. But by April it's generally fine, and there's no predicting the rain.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Ground hugger

Time to call it?

So March 19th - 21st (the first date on the poll) has come and gone (and a great weekend of climbing it was but...) and we don't seem to have a final decision.

Is it time to call it?

I agree with Sonia, if it's not one place / one date, it's just another day at a crag... not a M&G. Time to start organising! (and I need lots of time to grovel with the missus to let me go. ^^ )

Whaddya reckon?

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
verticalcult

So some people have been gettin all antsy to have a date nailed down so they can sort their schedules out. Cool I agree it needs be done soon, so please please please VOTE on when you want it. My final 5 cents is that with the crap "Spring" we've had thus far, the later we have it the better the weather will be hopefully. But we don't want it to be too late. The last weekend in April seems best to me, but I know that co-incides with the Jeonju Film Festival...tehn again every weekend co-incides with something important to some of us, so...remember that no weekend will work for all. It's life deal with it, and get ready. Wherever and when ever you'll need to get yourself to the crag/ camp-ground and be ready with camp gear and climbing gear. Bring a frisbee and guitar and bongoes etc too. Think about bringing some food, as it's usually a big part of the weekend - a communal feast of sorts where we all contribute foods, drinks and cooking equipment etc
If you are a climber at all (even a total newbie) you should be able to take some responsibility for sorting this out....look for a ride (to wherever: most likely Seonunsan or Ganhyeon) or check out the public transport options (the travel korea link on KOTR). Beg, borrow or steal a sleeping bag, tent-space and your own mug etc.
KOTR has no executive branch and no leaders...it's not my job to decide everything (anything) for you. Tell your mates to vote asap and start getting ready. The most likely dates are April 16-18 or April 30-May 2 KEEP THEM FREE IF YOU CAN, we will close the poll in a few days. OK? No? Tough.
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Seorak Sender

Sounds great to me, can't wait to meet all of you fellow dirt bags!!! I was wondering though from some of you who have been over here in korea for a while; I've noticed many people staying for one or two years, buying stuff and then leaving. From the few people I've ran into I get the impression that many people don't take everything back with them. My question then follows as I just got here and wasn't able to bring my camping stuff with me, is there anywhere to get my hands on some camping gear that i'll be able to use for this spring/summer/fall without going to the gear shop?
I can't wait to get out there and start meeting some of you as I'm way out in the middle of a rural area and I am feaning to get my hands back on the rocks hopefully every weekend!
Pura Vida!
Chris
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
peace

Whew. . . looks like the 16th-18th to me (no one seemed to indicate a problem with this date). . . with 50%! Might be good to call and start food and ride /transport threads. Oh, and maybe we should start a thread. . . see who can bring what instruments
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
verticalcult

Done! The Spring 2010 Meet and Greet is on April 16-18th. Decided and settled. But every weekend can be a mini-M&G too, so fret not if it doesn't suit you that weekend.