Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 12-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Jeju-do

Hey all,

The lady and I are heading to Jeju do for the xmas holiday. But not sure what the best ferry is to take over there. We are in Sokcho and are not sure whether to go to Busan or Seoul or Mokpo, should we fly. Looking for some advice from some "thrifty" people, we do not wish to lose the farm on this trip. Also any recommendations on good hostels that are still relatively cheap, we don't mind the dorm thing?

Any decent climbing on the island?

Bryan
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM
peace

Jeju Climbing

maybe someone else can help with the ferry info. . . I flew both times. . . there's a Jjjimchilbang in Jeju City that you'd want to skip (and I don't even remember where that one was). . . but I always camped (or stayed with distant connections), so no hotel info. . . CLIMBING, though, you say?!

As for climbing, I am not sure how the weather will be? Check out the posts on KOTR. Oedolgae is a sea cliff, so it might get a little chill. . . if you're climbing hard, Eongtto Waterfall is also easy to get to (in Sogwipo.) I didn't go to Musucheon (aka Gwangryeong Gyegok/Valley), but it might be nicer. . . (you might PM the poster? for more details).

You might also meet local climbers. There seems to be an especially vibrant climbing scene on the island! I've only climbed on the real rock (check the posts) but in researching Jeju I've found a lot of info.

Try the outdoor wall at Jeju Jonghabgyeonggijang in Jeju City, Ora-1 dong 1163-4 (064-722-4710, 064-753-2454, 064-759-0848). . . it looks pretty massive and hard-to-miss.
Jeju Sport Climbing Center in Jeju City is at Ildo-2 dong 1010-1 4F (064-723-5014, 011-639-3505 http://cafe.daum.net/sansoo1214)
Jeju Climbing Center's contact is Jeong Sang-su at 011-639-3505 and the gym's address is 제주 클라이밍 센터 제주시 연동 2307-5 지하 1층 (Yeon-dong 2307-5 1F).
Ace climbing Center in Jeju City is at Ora--2 dong 2575-1 (011-693-3119; http://cafe.daum.net/제주에이스실내암장).
In Sogwipo try the Jayu Gonggan (freedom space/room) Municipal Artificial Climbing Wall at Donghong-dong 524-2 064-733-3859 (자유공간 인공암장 서귀포.동흥동 524-2 만경건재 내)
or Doldoli-bang Artificial Wall at 시립도서관옆 (call Oh Han-chul 064-732-9368)

If your Korean isn't up to par, try jumping in a cab and giving the driver the # to call (or a printout of the Korean, or a map off the webpage. . . or check at tourist info. Going to a local gym/wall is a great way to get the beta for the best place to climb now. Just maybe someone is heading out and you'll be invited

If you like mountains, Hallasan probably has snow-- I did it in winter (Feb) and it was amazing! It's the highest peak in Korea, so that's reason enough to give it the better part of a day, and if there is enough snow, you can bring a tarp, gortex pack, slipperry bag etc. . . and glissade down much of the mountain! whoooppee!!

Finally, if you're interested (or if this info is sooooo helpful that you want to do me a favor), check out www.vegetariankorea.org, try to find the restaurants I have for Jeju and get back to me on their existance, vegetarian-ess, etc!!

Have loads of fun!! Take lots of photos!! If you find any of these places (including the restaurants!!) please take notes and post!! I definitely will visit again this spring!!!

Last edited by skinsk : 12-20-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Unread 12-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Thanks for the Info

Hey Skinsk,

Thanx for the info, things worked out well for me. We climbed at Oedulgae and had a great time. We were a bit of a tourist attraction ourselves, which got a bit annoying once people started asking us to pose for pictures during or just after a climb. They were quite friendly and never had a problem with them messing with anchors or gear. I took some good shots of the wall from across the burm. I noticed alot of the beta photos outside of the major areas in Korea lack decent beta photos. Especially easy crags like this where a couple of pictures could save someone loads of time. Im hoping to update some of Greg and Andrew's photos this summer, but I'll start with Jeju-do first. This site is great and incredibly helpful, anything I can contribute would be the least I could do. If you know anyone who has any idea what the routes names or grades are, let me know. I will publish the photo, with a few lines drawn in and if someone can give me more beta on the lines I didn't do, we could have a complete picture for the next person.

Thanks for all the info, the climbing was solid, but Jeju-do at Xmas was perfect, beautiful weather for climbing Hallasan (tallest peak in South Korea, didn't know that till we go to the top!), and Segwipo was quite warm and spectacular sea views. Have fun next trip!

Cheers
Bryan

PS, this forum can be closed, not sure if that is done on this site or not?