Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
verticalcult

Food Thread 2008Autum Meet and Greet

So this is where we discuss, suggest and volunteer to bring all the various foods, kitchen equippage and so on. Even though some will be there for Friday lunch and dinner, we will restrict the organization to the traditional two meals of all. Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast.
People with cars have an advantage in lugging extra weight, but everyone should seek to contribute as best they can. Coffee Plungers, frypans, spatulas, bottle openers and tables are always in short supply. If you are bringing vegetables or meat, pre-cut as much as you can to save effort and time when there. Yes, I'm sure we will have a camp-fire (as long as it's not illegal at the time), so snacks like marshmallows, shmores and Brandon's fire-bake breads are also welcome. Lighting is usually poor at night so keep that in mind.
OK so what are we going to have? What can/ will you bring?
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
peace

depends on when. . . if I'm still here, I'll cook some Friday night and bring the grill, pots, utensils and whatever Cha Cha'll hold!
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:41 AM
breaking in my skin

Unless I have the Friday off (which may or may not include the 3-day weekend mentioned) I'm won't be there until sometime Sat (also depending on travel time. Have we mentioned where this might be?).

As I'm a vege-head, I'm more than willing to bring some fruits and vegies! If others are bringing pans and such, I'll bring some mix to make 파전, too.
Unread 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
peace

Always quite a few veggies, so they'll be options. My grill/pans are vegetarian too !
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Seorak Sender

are we doing the mexican dinner and banana pancake breaki again?
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
verticalcult

I think it's a well established tradition, and can easily be tweaked to suit vegetarians and omnivores alike. This time I will make a better effort to do the pancakes and thus give Heather a well earned rest (thanks for last time mate!). I'll bring one big non-stick pan, can someone else do the same? And Rick, yeah I'll remember the spatula too (I recall trying to buy one at Seounsan with you last time- nix nix!).
The Tex-Mex thing works well, and if we line up all the ingreds along the campsite wall thing it should be a convenient conveyor line of feasting.
I just would ask again, that anyone coming with a car consider bringing a few good lumps of wood (old pallet planks etc found on the streets etc are sweet) for the nightly camp-fires. The area is pretty bare of wood now, and we want to avoid an eco-havoc night scouring nightmare.
Oh, and if anyone out there has any serious allergies (shell-fish, cheese, dairy products, alcohol etc) it'd be wise to let everyone know here so we can avoid sending you to hospital by mistake (hell we want to that kind of stuff on purpose ).
Because some folks travelling by bus etc can't easily bring lots of food, they often want to just give "someone" "some" money. Maybe a way to kinda make this fair would be to have a donations box (or "kitty" as we say in Oz). The end amount then divvied up between those (major) contributors of public food - which typically is the strapping lads and lasses off the bases (many thanks). I don't want to overly formalize this, as KOTR has run so well precisely because it has no kind of top-down organization or chieftans, just anarchic co-operations. Anyways, what sayest thou, sweet wags?
Unread 08-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Aggressive Sheep

ha ha...jake, it's almost become a tradition for me to ramsack the seonunsan village in search of a spatula! 4 different occasions come to mind.
wood: there are about 5 cords of split wood 15 feet from my office. i'll ask about taking some of it.
i can definitely load up on supplies and it usually goes like this: folks offer to bring X food item, i buy it, they reimburse me. simple eh? well, of course not. items get doubled up (as there are several 'base buyers'), some people don't pay anything (btw, no one likes this person), some people pay extra, but it all works out in the end. organization has worked best in the past when a list of ingredients is started and folks add their name and quantity. each additional person quotes the previous list and adds their info. easy as pie! hhhhmmmmmm....piiiiee......
i'll be off the korean grid for a few weeks but i'll catch up with the requests when i get back.
Unread 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM
mastering the pull-up

As far as non food items, Kris and I can bring (as usual) a stove, pan, spatula, whisk, mixing bowl, cutting board and maybe even a small table. We are having to travel much lighter these days since we traded the seatless Galloper in for the 45mpg Matiz, so we can't scavenge for loads of pallets anymore. Sorry!

Also, if you are traveling a long way on public transit and don't want to carry a bunch of stuff, another way to help out would be to bring a dishrag, buy some dish soap at the stores near the campsite and lend your hands for the super fun dish washing party that follows each meal!
Unread 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
verticalcult

OK folkss, it's been suggested and so here it is. The Food and Equipment List. I'm quite certain to have forgotten somethings, so add them by all means at the end .
TO USE THIS: Read the list, copy it and add you name. Then repost it. When you sign you name something you are basically COMMITTED to bringing it, but I'm sure if you pull out my removing your name that's cool too. I have deliberatelty left off drinks & alcohol. That's personal responsibility stuff.
I've based amounts on a rough guess of 50 people servings.

OK Here is Saturday night Dinner (the Tex-Mex South of the border feast):
Tortillas - approx 80-100 (Jake x20)
Refried (vegetarain if possible) beans - 12-15 cans
Minced beef (hamburger beef) - 4-5Kg (10-12lb)
Chicken breast pieces - 2-3Kg (5-7lb) (Jake x 2Kg)
Tomatoes, sliced/ diced - 12-15 medium sized
Lettuce, shredded -2-3 heads (1-2 Kg/ 2-4lb) (Jake x 1Kg)
Salsa Sauce - 2 big bottles (Jake x 1 bottle)
Tobasco Sauce - 1 big bottle (Jake x 1 bottle)
Shredded Cheese - 3-4 Kg (7-10lb)
Guacamole Dip - 7-8 Cups
Pickled Jalapaneos - 1 big bottle
Onions, sliced - 6-8
Taco/ Fajita Seasoning Mix packets - enough for above meat & vegies
Churros Snack sticks - lots (yum!)
Sour Cream - 4-5 tubs (about 600ml each?)
Marshmallows - 4-6 bags, large.
Graham crackers (? for sh'mores (?) - 4 5 packets
Kim Chi, various types - 2-3Kg (Kyung Ah x 3Kg)
Coriander/ Cilantro chopped - 4-5 bunches
Lemons/ Limes - 6-8
Fresh seasonal fruits - 3-4Kg
Cooking Oil - 1 bottle
Tofu - 4- 5 blocks (Kyung Ah x 1 block)

Here is Equipment:
Frypans, large - 3 or 4 (Jake x 1)
Chopping boards - 3 or 4
Kitchen type knives - 3 or 4 (Jake x 1)
Small knives - 2 - 3
Vegetable peeler - 2
Gas burner cookers - 3 or 4 (Jake x 1)
Spatulas - 3 or 4 (Jake x 1)
Whisk/ egg-beaters - 2 (Jake x1)
Serving Tongs -4 or 5 pairs
Paper plates, large - 120-140
Serving bowls/ plates, large - 8-10
Esspresso Kettle/ Plungers - 3-5
Saucepans/ pots - 5-7 medium sized
Can openers -2 or 3

Here is Sunday Breakfast:
Pancake mix - 2-3 Kg (5-7lb) dry
Milk - 6-7 litres (Kyung Ah x 2L low-fat)
Eggs - 12-16
Maple Syrup - two bottles
Jam, various -two medium jars
Bananas, thinly sliced - 1 bunch
Walnuts, small pieces - 1 - 2Kg (2-5 lb)
Cooking Oil - 1 bottle
Coffee, ground beans - lots!
Sugar - 1Kg (2lb)
Juice - 5-6 Litres (Kyung Ah x 1.5L)
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
peace

Jake-- that should work. . . if the thread gets too long we can delete earlier versions of the list! I'll probably get in Thurs or earlier, but willing to do a pick-up. . . I have a lot of untensils, as noted. I'll also do some grilled veggies and stuff on Friday for anyone who RSVPs.