Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Snow Leopard

Korean Mountaineering League

I've just signed up with KOTR. Must say the community definitely seems tight. Glad to be aboard. Now for my shameless plug (don't worry, Eric authorized it).
I'm the founder and president of the Korean Mountaineering League. The KML is a non-profit NGO whose primary focus is the preservation of Korea's mountains. Our field work consists of locating and removing trash and recyclable materials from the mountains. Once the material has been removed it is properly disposed of. We also engage in trail inspection, which consists of monitoring high traffic areas, and how the parks authorities work in the parks (we uncovered some shocking things about the parks authority in Bukhansan around the Bibong-Hyangrobong route regarding handling of trash. I arranged a meeting with the cheif ranger of the region and he put a stop to the activity. Thumbs up).
We are involved in campaigns (letter writing and lobbying) and are currently hosting a campaign called 'Pack it It, Pack it Out', with the sub-campain 'Root of the Problem'. More info about the campaigns (and a petition) can be seen (and signed) on the KML's website.
We are currently working with the Korean Ministry of Environment to make environmental news more accessible, especially to Korea's English speaking expat community. Furthermore, the MOE is currently working to help the KML get articles published and distributed to a large reading audience.
So, to end my shameless plug, I invite all KOTR members to visit the KML's website. Eric has been extremely helpful and gracious and has put a link to the KML's site on the bottom of every KOTR page.

The KML needs help to move forward with its work. We have been featured in Korean media (newspapers, television), but we need a greater working unit. I think most of us who go to the mountains revere them. The mountains offer release and comfort, and we are commited to help in the conservation of the integrity and ecology of mountain environments and their sensitive endemic species.
Any comments/remarks can be made here on this thread.

Thanks, gang.

PS. Eric and I have semi-discussed a collaboration between KOTR and KML. Anyone interested in getting together for some beers in Seoul some night, get the two groups together for some down time?