Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: Choose your ideal crag & date for the fall Meet & Greet.
Place 1: Ganhyeon http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb...php?area_id=22 15 53.57%
Place 2: Yeongyeong http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb....php?area_id=4 6 21.43%
Place 3: Halmae Bawi http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb....php?area_id=1 5 17.86%
Place 4: Seonunsan http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb...p?area_park=36 10 35.71%
Place 5: Busan http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb...=1&area_city=5 9 32.14%
Date 1: September 16 - 17 14 50.00%
Date 2: September 23 - 24 15 53.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 08-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Fall Meet and Greet

Ok so people new and old alike will be gettig settled here over in the next few weeks, so when and where are we going to do a fall Meet and Greet?
Unread 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM
peace

You read my mind. . .

Some considerations:

We had the spring Meet and Greet early, and while the weather sucked, turnout was good and it was fun. Sununsan/Halmaebawi has a lot of climbs at every level, and convenient parking/camping/transport. One caveat-- it is difficult for those in Kangwon and Gyeongsan provinces to get to (but not mandalynn!).

Since fall is better anyway, and most uni teachers are getting back late Aug/early Sept, it seems like the 2nd weekend in Sept or the following one would be good. Students are just settling in and the work hasn't picked up. Hopefully, MTs will not have started yet and few people will be out at the crags as vacations will have ended. This might be especially important if we wanted to do Kanhyon. It might even help to reserve one or two min-bak near camping (in the event of rain, we could meet and greet and eat inside). Wonju is good for Seoul, Gyeonggi, Gangwon and not bad for the Daejeoners, and Gyeongsanbukers. Ricky would hopefully make the big effort and win for distance travelled?!

Other people have talked about Daegu area. We know Jademonkey can fit 9 people in his apartment. . . Several climbing areas in and around the city, but we'd have to pick one (or commute on Sunday).

Busan is another possibility. I hear mp31bravo likes to play host and has promised food shelter drinks and belays for everyone. Again, good places nearby. . . mountains and beaches. Tony could check on camping. . . With the high speed rail, it's doable from Seoul and KTX cities fairly quicky, and it's on the southern most rail line from Mokpo. Lots of people on the East it seems and I haven't been out there for awhile. I want to meet the Europeans. . .

Those are the obvious choices, but there are many smaller, nifty crags that are fairly central, and other favorites-- I figured I'd put out a few ideas, get some feedback on who wants to come and what works for you. Please use this thread to register your input. Where are you coming from? What works best for you? What do you want? Need? What are some concerns?

New people, a KOTR meet and greets is a great time to meet people from this sight and learn to get around Korea. I (or someone else) can give you detailed directions once a sight has been selected. We'll post major train and bus links and I'm sure some rides will be posting. . .
Unread 08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

late september sounds good to me.

my vote is for wonju. its just a little bit further from daejeon as seonunsan is so thats not a factor.
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:09 AM
stone samurai

wonju in late september sounds good. it looks like the sokcho crew will be making a trip to seonunsan during chuseok. that could also be an option for a meet and greet, though no doubt the park will be busy around then. that said, if the meet and greet ends up being in wonju, it'll be easy enough for us to make it.

-ron kauk
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

when is chuseok?
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:47 AM
peace

My only concerns about late September at Kanhyun is the Early MT groups . . . which can get really loud and "take over" the place. Weekends in September are 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24. I'll go for any of them.

Darn, Punchy, I planned to go to Kangwon-do for Chuseok. . . last year a few of us hit Seorak/Sokcho and I managed to get in some sport, aid and trad as well as a day at the beach! I am considering a bridge day or two. . .

Eric,
Foundation Day is Tues, October 3 and Chuseok is Thurs-Sat, Oct 5-7.
Unread 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

im into any of the september weekends at ganhyeon.

anyone else going besides us 4???
Unread 08-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Damn, that hurts!

My last chance....

Yes, we must do this. In order for everyone to get the word, I think we're going to have to PM them. This is my last chance to meet you all, as I will be retiring from the service and getting a civilian job somewhere else, most likely in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, with the Alps in my backyard. I fly on the 25th of September. It's been great and this would put the icing on the cake for me. Let's roll...
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:19 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp31bravo
In order for everyone to get the word, I think we're going to have to PM them.
I just sent an email about this thread to everyone.
Unread 08-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Aloha Climber

I'd love to make it to this meet and greet. I like the 2nd,3rd or 4th weekends of September. The last weekend preceeds Chusuk week during which I recommend avoiding any domestic travel.
Closed Thread