Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
verticalcult

Meet and Greet Spring 2009 Travel Thread.

A- Are you going to the M&G?
B- Are the Kennedy's gun-shy? Is the Pope catholic? Is water wet? Yes.
A- Well then, pray tell sweet wag, how does one get to Seonunsan M&G?
B- I have no idea at all! Oh my god! It's a colossal disaster! We'll all die!
A- That'd be a real bummer, I just bought a new rope...dang! Oh wait!
B- Why? What hast thou thunk turning dark gloom to nectarous hope?
A- I spied with my little eye the Korea Travel link on KOTR! Salvation!
B- Praise be! Halleluliah! Allah Akbah! Ohm mani padme hom! F.Ken A!

Narrator: Yes folks this is the true story of two regular dirtbag climbers who through dogged perseverence, guts and a bold derring-do overcame the seemingly impossible challenge of getting their "sit upons" to the meet and greet. Veritably it is a monument in human endeavour to those towering heights of giddying success and wanton thrill to be found at the sharpest of sharp ends in the search for ever higher and harder ascents of the implaccably improbable.

Another way might be to post here if you are driving and have room in your car. Say how many people you can take, where you are coming from and likely going through (look at a map).
Similarly if you need a lift, say where you are, what day and time you could be ready to roll, and maybe, just maybe someone can help you out.

Seonunsan is on the very west coast just south of Gunsan (Kunsan) and Kimje in Jeollabuk-do (North Jeolla Province). Nearest railway station is Jeong-Eup (Chong-Up) on the Honam line.
There is a Seonunsan IC on the nearby SoHaeAn Expressway (from Incheon-Asan-West Pyeonngtaek-Boryong-Gunsan-Kimje line), and also access via the Jeong-Eup IC on the Honam Expressway (Daejeon-Iksan-Jeonju line).
Buses run from Jeong-Eup and even nearer (small village) Gochang to Seonunsan...but not too late at night! A taxi ride from Jeong-Eup station could be OK if split between 3 or 4 people (prob'ly 40-50,000won total??)

Kyung Ah, Brandon and I are driving from Daejeon on Friday morning. We will have room for maybe 1 other person and gear.
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Radio

BUSANITES

I'm thinking about renting a car to go to Seonunsan. I checked out one rental place today and they quoted 100,000won-per-day for a Sonata, that takes 5 people. This is a lot more expensive than I expected, having rented cars for about 70,000 before, so I'm going to shop around a bit.

Anyway, if the best I can get is 200,000 for two days, would anybody be interested in joining me? I figure we'd need about 50,000 worth of petrol, so if we can get 5 people, it'll only be 50,000 each (public transport each way wouldn't be much less.) It will cut the journey time in half and we don't have to sit around waiting for transfers.

So, if you're down with that or you know somewhere where we can get a cheaper deal, let me know. I need 5 people to make this work, first come, first served.
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not in Kansas anymore

Hey andy... when would you be leaving??
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Radio

Friday evening, about 6.
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
send train

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy
BUSANITES

I'm thinking about renting a car to go to Seonunsan. I checked out one rental place today and they quoted 100,000won-per-day for a Sonata, that takes 5 people. This is a lot more expensive than I expected, having rented cars for about 70,000 before, so I'm going to shop around a bit.

Anyway, if the best I can get is 200,000 for two days, would anybody be interested in joining me? I figure we'd need about 50,000 worth of petrol, so if we can get 5 people, it'll only be 50,000 each (public transport each way wouldn't be much less.) It will cut the journey time in half and we don't have to sit around waiting for transfers.

So, if you're down with that or you know somewhere where we can get a cheaper deal, let me know. I need 5 people to make this work, first come, first served.

that's crazy talk. i own a van, we can pile some peeps in it. even if i decide for some reason to not go, you are welcome to it. it needs to get used more.
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Jiri Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss monkey
that's crazy talk. i own a van, we can pile some peeps in it. even if i decide for some reason to not go, you are welcome to it. it needs to get used more.

Either way, renting or van, I'd very much like to go. I'm in Ulsan. I get out of work at 5, so could be at Nopodong maybe by 6:00. If there is extra room for my girlfriend she would like to come too.

Andy, when are you planning on returning?
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Halla Hanger

I also have a car in Busan. I will be leaving early Saturday morning (7 or 8) and returning Sunday around 3. Let me know if you want a ride.
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
John Risky

I'm in Suwon, in Yongtong. I'm dead keen to go, but as yet I haven't got a ride. If anyone is driving from anywhere Gyeonggi I'd be happy to travel to someplace convenient for a pick-up on Friday evening. I finish work at 4.40pm, and can leave at this time promptly. I'd also be happy to travel to Seoul, esp Gangnam or Jamsil.
Unread 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Radio

Ok. The rental is probably not required, then.

Jason, I would love a place in your Da-Bang van, be it is a driver or coffee girl.
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm not in Kansas anymore

when would you be leaving jason?