Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > KMPL - Korean Mountain Preservation League

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
verticalcult

OK here is some mandatory viewing courtesy of Will in Daegu...very useful stuff indeed.
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...newpost&t=1939
On a different note, looks like we now have maybe 5 folks from KOTR plus a maybe 6th person. Anyone wanting to buy a great brand new guide book to hiking and climbing in Nepal pm me (Amazon stuffed up and sent me 2 copies), bargain at 15,000won (full colour 2008 edition).
Shawn I might be up this Saturday/ Friday...not sure will call you tonight after I finish classes at 7 and talk to KA and Brandon.
Those folks interested (Brian, Erica, Brandon etc) we were thinking of a shakedown ridge route in Seoraksan April 11-12.
Not too hard, but requires a bivvy and some teamwork...just a get to know each other thing. If you can make it and sounds good answer here please or pm/ email me).
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Hmm........... sometimes, it's only when you realize that you can't have something that you become acutely aware of how bad you want it.

There is no way that I could get that kind of time off from my Hagwon unless I quit. I couldn't/shouldn't do that.

Hey Jake, do you think you'll be organizing something like this again, as in the next couple of years?
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
verticalcult

Hey Gabe, yeah if this goes OK I'm sure I or someone on KOTR will be doing a similar trip again in the next year or so. Usually there is also the bi-annual summer and winter exodus of KOTRers to Vietnam, Thailand, China and Japan etc which though smaller trips are also great fun. If you need to change jobs and get a uni gig with better hols let me know. With a year or so of experience, good refs and a TESOL cert it is possible to land a uni job.
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not in Kansas anymore

Hey Shanja...what would be the possibility of a non-KOTR member that doesn't live in SK being able to go on the trip?
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
verticalcult

Yes indeed, if the non-KOTR person wants to join in, either as a full climbing member or as a trekking member (still getting to 5300m!) they would be welcome to join us. Just ask them to check the details thus far and send me an e-mail or facebook message. We will try and get costs etc hammered out asap.
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey Jake et al.
This trek looks fantastic. I've been planning on going to Nepal since I knew I was heading to Korea...and what better way to experience a place than through acts of altruism with great people!! Is it too late to voice interest in the trip? If not, I would love some of the info./surveys/whatnot you've sent out if possible (I'm a bit nervous about my readiness for such an expedition)! Unfortunately, I cannot make it to Seoraksan this weekend , but I'm glad to be on this thread to get updates!
Thanks and peace!
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Seorak Sender

A friend, working for Geographic Expeditions, graciously sent me this Altitude Tutorial. Hope it helps anyone with questions.
peace,
a

Last edited by captainettegreen : 04-09-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
verticalcult

Alex I pm'd you, so yeah sweet I think you'd be quite welcome to join in. We are having a mini-conference in Seoul this Sat evening/ night (details on where/ when exactly I'll post later when I know) to discuss issues and details and costs. Thanks for sharing that tutorial great to have people volunteering good info and helping each other out.
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM
verticalcult

OK eco-climbers with a lust for high and wild places (ie "you cats"),
post the sat mini-climb and meet and feed this is what we have got settled.
Brandon Sherman (nomadicmind) is taking point on air-tix
Brian (Brian123) is taking charge of vaccinations etc beta
Jake Preston (shanja) will be the gear freak rep
Shawn Morrisey (hypoxic) will puppeteer the ecological and cultural aspects
Erica Pfeifer (ericamp), Kyung Ah (naomi), Alex (capainettegreen) and anyone else interested...you have no specific tasks as yet, but it's important that you also try and ask questions, kick-in info on any relevant topic and just keep up with things too. Our Exped is pretty democratic, no formal leadership and that works well when we all communicae well and help out. There is definitely a buzz in the ether over this trip and it will be an awesomely grand undertaking! Get excited and get prepared! Vaccinations should be dealt with now, I'll let Brian tell you what you need.
Costs:Airfares are Brandons puppy, but from the meeting we can expect a rough figure of 7-900,000won a person return. It might be good to have "open-ended tix" too. Visas can be obtained on arrival in Kathmendu airport, but nowadays they only accept foreign currency for these! Not Nepali rupees and not Korean won. So you'll need US dollars, Euros or whatever. 30 day and 90 day visas are all they offer too...no more 45 day visas ...if we go over our 30 days we automatically have to pay the 90 day visa fee ($100US ). 30 Day visas are $30US...right?
Budget totals: apart from airfares we are looking at about 2,500,000won each...though you may well need less. This will cover (correct me if I'm wrong):
3 meals a day, porters, tents (2pax/tent + mess tent, cook tent, toilet tent), sirdar (head Sherpa guide), permits, park fees, tour of K'du, and so on. It should also allow you shopping money and odds and ends...but how much you spend there is really up to you.
Kathmandu is experiencing some hard times as Shawn said, with electricity being rationed to about 4 hours a day in many areas. Don't bother bringing too many gizmos. But a book or two would be nice (2nd hand book shops a plenty in K'du).

PLEASE BE CULTURALLY AWARE. Nepal is both Hindu and Buddhist. In K'du predomindantly Hindu, in the hills Buddhist. Our Sirdar and Nepali Liaison Officer & friend "BK" is a Brahmin Hindu. Cows are scared there so let's not gobbled down a steak OK? Likewise in the trek and hills pass all stupas, chortens and religious monuments in a clockwise direction (on their left), greet people modestly with the palms together "Namaste" and avoid overly intrusive photography habits. I'm sure this as all uneccessary advice, you'd do it anyways...and remember not tank-tops, mini-skirts or obsene Tees.

Monsoon is a malarial time in Nepal, so be aware of this. Once we are above 2000m it's very unlikely we'll encounter a mozzie, but in the lower earlier stages it's likely. Wear light coloured clothes (mozzies like dark colours), wear no perfumes, use DEET insect repellent and common sense...Brian will tell you about meds for malaria.

NO PLASTIC BOTTLED WATER!!! The plastic used in Nepal is not recyclable and is a major cause of pollution. Iodine tincture drops are the best and cheapest/ easiset solution...but as Erica and Brian and Gabe said, they will also bring water filterers. Thanks!

Finally, DATES and TIME:
According to BK and Dom (Nepali end) the trip should take 20-25 days all up (revised from my pm-ed schedule), but allow an extra 5 days for delays, weather etc. So say 30 days.
If you need to leave earlier that should be very easy, as you can exit at various points on the way. Just post here about that issue and we'll try and work that in for you.
Start dates: As Eriica is working on 22nd July, we can work on leaving from Incheon on the 23rd July and finish up about August 21st or 22nd...remember that the 30 days visa is from day of arrival in K'du...not leaving Korea.
If these dates are really not good for you, then say so now! We need to get things set in stone asap.
Thanx!!!!
Unread 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Seorak Sender

Awesome, thanks for update; and thanks to you all for the work you did yesterday! I wish I could've been there . I will talk to my co-teacher/principal tomorrow about dates! and get back to y'all asap. Again, many many khamsahamnidas, you rock!