Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 07-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Seorak Sender

Question day off in seoul

I am a 70's era Trad climber/mountaineer who visited Seoul several times 40 years ago and climbed outside Seoul with some climbers from HUFSAC (Hankuk University of Foreign Studies Alpine Club). I have lost contact with any of them - a couple of names I can remember are Byong Joon Kim ( Mt Everest expeditions) and Tak Joo ??? .

Work brings me back again next week. I will be installing some positioning equipment for Samsung. If all goes well the work will be completed Thursday and Friday and the weekend , at least Sunday the 14th, should be free.

I recall from decades ago going to some crags a short bus ride from the city and trying with some success _-no sticky rubber then- some hard pitches. On another occasion my wife and I took a nice hike across the mountains outside Seoul. I have no further details or recollection about where either of these were.

Any suggestions for how to arrange something like that for this trip? Hiking is preferable to climbing as it is simpler logistically ( and I do more of it these days).

If I could get the names and locations of possible areas along with information about how to get there that would be terrific. Any opportunity to meet up with local climbers and hikers would be welcome also. I have a strong memory of the day at the crags being followed by fresh chopped octopus and copious soju at several small climber friendly eateries!

Looking forward to great day or two!!