Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Initiatives > Initiative Reports

Unread 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Completed any projects in Korea?

If you have completed or been apart of any initiatives, projects, cleanup days, KPML events, etc. here in Korea, we would love to hear from you. Please reply to this thread with your experiences. Advice and criticism is quite handy from those who have been apart of these types of initiatives in the past.

I'm sure we've all been apart of something around the globe, if your experience is not from within Korea, please be specific as to how it could help or relates to initiatives here in Korea.
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
verticalcult

One "initiative"that springs to mind was the spontaneous coming together of some KOTRers recently to buy and send a wreath and condolences for the passing of another KOTR member's brother back home. I think this is a simple and powerful kind of thing that helps people when help is most needed.
A similar situation perhaps is now extant with regards ex-KOTRer Dave Rogers who was badly injured in a car accident in Germany when stationed there. Perhaps a wreath again from KOTR would help inspire him to keep on with his own recovery (see his facebook site if you like): http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=93921021261
Similarly it would have been good if as an organization/ club/ group of climbers we could have sent an official wreath/ presence to the funeral of Korean climber deaths like Go Mi-young. I know we do this individually a lot, and the Daejeon KOTR crew came together really well for Yeom Gi-hyeon's family after his death last December, but it was still largely ad hoc.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:58 PM

A definite!

I've been working locally with a friend on how to setup a simple bank account for a Korean NGO. There's a bunch of paperwork and a bit of running around in the local adminstrative offices, as well as applications for NGO status, not sure if we qualify, yet. But it's not too complicated. The idea here is to simply create an account for donations, the use of the funds will be decided on by the "Initiatives Council" and all donations and withdraws will be posted online.

As far as where this information will live online, that depends on a few factors we can discuss later with Eric and others. But for now, Jake, I agree completely. This December I was home when Yeom Gi-hyeon passed, I had only met him twice, but still felt like it was necessary to contribute...but there were really no easy avenues for it. Luckily, KOTR has you!

But, still it was one of many straws in the haystack, that has brought us to this idea.

I'll try and spend some time on this next week. Please respond if anyone out there has any personal experience with NGO's or Non-profit like entities here in Korea.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM

I'll also contact Shawn over at KPML and see if he can offer any advice.
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:20 AM
peace

New Anchors at Yongseo

Jake collected donations and bought some gear, I contacted Ackdong Alpine Club and a bunch of KOTRers met them there to re-anchor.

KOTR did a Halmae Clean-up (pics are posted in fun-photos) just before the crag was closed!!

I've re-anchored and/or backed up about 1/2 of Wonhyosan.

Mike did a boy scout thing I believe. . .

but always good to have something ongoing and accessible! The community here keeps growing and getting stronger and people really have a lot to offer.
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Halla Hanger

Any headway with getting the account information settled? It would be great to set up a paypal system or something so that people can click buttons and give their money rather than seeing that precious man won dissapear from their wallets.