Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Seorak Sender

Oct 9-12 Visiting Korea

Hey everyone!

I run a small climbing meetup group based in Tokyo (if you're ever in town come climb with us) and we're planning a trip to climb in Korea in October. I am really just in the preliminary planning phase and this site has been an awesome resource so far, but I am a little overwhelmed with all of the different choices and would like to maybe get some recommendations (I am just blindly searching right now). It is kinda hard to get a crag + cool place to stay combination with so many options.

Most people in the group climb around 5.10c sport. I have a full single rack of C4's and master cams and plenty of other trad gear so that can be included as well. Also plan to get an international driver's license and have a car for the trip.

Also if anyone wants to join us feel free

Thanks in advance
Unread 06-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Seorak Sender

Ahhhhh are you totally set on the dates already? I'm *leaving* Korea on the 6th of October!
Unread 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Seorak Sender

Ah, bummer, chose those days because it is a long weekend for us
Unread 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Seorak Sender

Fair enough! have fun!
Unread 08-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Seorak Sender

I just got to Korea a few days ago so I won't be any help with suggestions, but might be interested in joining depending on where you end up going! Keep me in the loop, would you?
Unread 08-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Seorak Sender

For sure, I might head out there myself the weekend before so I will probably be looking for some people to climb with that weekend
Unread 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM
peace

Not sure about that weekend-- it's a bit far in advance. I think that Friday is a national holiday and I have Mondays off this semester, so I may be able to meet y'all or help put. Coming from Japan, are you arriving in Seoul or Busan?

How many people do you have? Do you plan to camp? or what are your preferred accommodations?

Do you have a preference for sport or trad? single or multi-pitch? Roadside crags or off-the beaten-path places?
Unread 08-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Not sure about that weekend-- it's a bit far in advance. I think that Friday is a national holiday and I have Mondays off this semester, so I may be able to meet y'all or help put. Coming from Japan, are you arriving in Seoul or Busan?

How many people do you have? Do you plan to camp? or what are your preferred accommodations?

Do you have a preference for sport or trad? single or multi-pitch? Roadside crags or off-the beaten-path places?

I believe it is a holiday. I get out there on 10/2 and everyone else is meeting that next Friday night. My company has an office in Seoul so I am working during that week but have the weekend 10/3-4 before off.

Climbing goals are going to be really different the first weekend I am there versus when everyone else comes out. I really like trad climbing and multi-pitch routes, so if I can get any of that in it'd be great. Particularly any nice cruising hand cracks or off widths in the 5.10a-b range. For the group--they don't lead trad so it'd be nice to get them some sport routes. A mixture of off the beaten path and roadside when the group comes--one easier day and one more adventurous day sounds nice.

There will be 6 of us in total, camping is fine.

Is there a guidebook for any of the areas that I should get? I dig this site, tons of info, but it'd be nice to have some topos as well.
Unread 08-26-2015, 09:34 AM
peace

There's discussion of a meet and greet soon, but no firm dates yet. That would be a priority for me, but of course you/y'all would be welcome to join. If people are flying into Seoul, a good bet for sheer number and variety of sport is Ganhyeon. They have a topo at the base of the cliff (on a big metal sign). There is climbing and other accommodations at the crag, with facilities and restaurants, etc. Other places with a good variety of sport climbs and camping/accomodations include Seonunsan, Sinban and Yongseo, but they are further south.

There's decent climbing around Seoul, with good (if somewhat slabby) trad on Insubong and Seoninbong-- but at that time of year and on a weekend it will be a mad house worth avoiding at any cost (imagine 10 people or more at a belay-- sometimes 4 people with one leader). The best trad is probably in Seoraksan or Mureung on the East Coast.

How are you at driving on the right side of the road^^? Seoul traffic is crazy (I drove there once, many years ago), but outside of the cities it's not bad, and highways are fast. Korean drivers are a bit crazy in general, and you have to be very alert. Can you fit 6 plus gear in a car?!
Unread 09-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Seorak Sender

Will hopefully have 2 cars, no worries with driving, from the US so we drive on the same side

We were planning to do a day at Insubong, I was worried about crowd but I didn't think it'd be THAT crowded.. Gonna have to rethink that maybe. In terms of the stuff at the crag in Ganhyeon, are we talking mostly camping or is their like a hostel? Would it be pretty easy to find a spot?

Thanks for all of the info by the way, this is super helpful