Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Seorak Sender

moving to busan

Hi over there,

I'm from germany and I'll move to busan at the beginning of august. And I'm realy looking forward to it... but I have some questions about Korea and Busan in particular.

How expensive is climbing gear over there? Do I need a car for going climbing after work, if yes are cars expensive? Are there any bouldering guides arround for the area busan, or where can I gather information?

Does anyone want to go out climbing and showing me arround??

Hopfully I get some answers!

See you in 2 month

Christoph
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
peace

Hi Christoph!

Welcome to Korea (I don't live in Busan, but I go there a bit:-)! You can get generic clothes and local camping gear fairly decent prices for the quality. Imported brands are a mixed bag. Sales are rare. Trango, 5.10, North Face, Mountain Hardware and a few others have partners here and do well-- they sponsor local climbers, comps, walls, websites. Koreans love brands. Some will pay crazy prices for Arcterx, Black Diamond. Petzl and other pricier brands. Mad Rock can be cheap. Now that's basically based on a comparison from the USA. I was in Europe for over a year 08-10 (though Germany just once-- Pfaltz, visiting friends I met in Korea:-) and I don't know what deals can be had in Germany. Czech Rep and Slovakia and Austria were pretty expensive, so you might find Korea a bargain!

You don't need a car for climbing after work as there is so much rock in and around Busan, and Busan has excellent public transport. However, should you get bored and want to get away to the more remote crags (or carry lots of camping things, which is nice if you travel a lot) a car is relatively easy and straightforward to get. If you don't care what it looks like and how old it is, you can get something fairly cheap. I had a car and will get another!! But, in my small town, I prefer to bike locally. When I went to Busan or Seoul (or even Daegu or Gwangju), I would usually park her and take public transport within the city.

I'm working on a climbing guide, but it will not include bouldering (there's just too much rock here!) Bouldering has largely been developed by the foreign community. A few Korean-developed areas (for comps) are pretty chipped. It's catching on, though, as comps are largely going bouldering.

KOTR and the locals (who will meet you) are the best guides. Join a Korean gym for mid-week and off season climbing and training, and go on a few weekend trips with them. You'll learn more Korean and get wicked strong. KOTR is well represented in Busan and they are a great group. I am sure if you haven't heard from them already, you will.
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
hmmm

Hello Christoph, I live in Busan and climb quite regularly, I speak for the Busan community in saying we look forward to meeting and climbing with you.

I would bring as much hard gear as possible (trad items are particularly expensive). Ropes can be found for a descent price, but must be searched for. give me a call when you arrive and I'd be happy to show you around.

mack 010.8220.4881
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
aka, The Griz or just Jake

Welcome to Busan! Lots of great climbing in and around the city. It pretty easy to figure out the transportation here in the city and for the other parts of Korea. Cheap too. Definitely don't need a car but it can be handy.
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
fight gravity!

heeeeey! you're more than welcome if you are interested in bouldering.

I'm local. and I do usually boulder!

bouldering area around busan is still developing.

I had a crew, but they left. (yea they ditched me.) but looks like new crew will be created.

there is one another guy I met, he is also serious boulderer.

there is bouldering around busan! and I can show you around what we've been developed so far!

if you have a pad, then it'd best to bring it here. I know it might be a trouble carrying on a air plane though,

but it'd better to carry it cuz, here in korea, buying a nice pad is not that easy.

and 70% of land of korea is mountain. it means lots of potential for bouldering!

still bouldering is quite new here, there are so many First Ascents await.

here is my number

010-9310-3043
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
fight gravity!

oh sadly no bouldering guide book nor topography in busan.

cuz, we're so neglected.

you don't need a car to climb only in the busan district. but If you have a car, then you can travel other place easily. and some part of climbing place, public transportation is tricky..

So conclusion, car isn't that necessary but, better to have it.

and you can buy a cheap used car. korean cars don't have quality like german automobile, but they move well at least!
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
couch guy

Hi Christoph,

Hope to see you in Busan soon. I've just arrived from America & I would definitely recommend bringing a crashpad with you if you can. You can check it as regular luggage on most airlines without any trouble. I packed mine full of clothes and a banjo and just wrapped a bunch of tape around it to keep it shut. No problems =)

Looking forward to getting more boulderers out here. I've been climbing with Young the past two weekends and I can say conclusively that there are too many beautiful granite boulders and not enough people climbing them! I think you could probably clean & put up a new line every day for the next few years.

Good luck & hope to see you soon!

-Matt
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Seorak Sender

great!

Thanks for all the replies, they realy make me looking forward to august!

See you soon!

Christoph