Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
peace

Jeonju International Film Festival

The one time I actually spend a weekend or two in my city is during this film festival. At least one weekend I like to invite KOTRers to see some films and get in some climbing. Last time I was here, about 12 people showed up-- too much for my one room, but there are plenty of Jimjjilbangs here, and if we stay away from the fest area or book early, it's possible to get a room. Maisan and Shilli are good local crags for a daytrip (and still make it back for a late movie. . . I also have some climbing films we could watch). Halmae Bawi, Daedunsan and Samcheonbawi are doable if there are enough cars (we could also chip in and rent a car for the day). I haven't got the movie guide yet, but I'd be interested in who would be interested in coming down, which weekend and what your preferences are as to movies accomodations and climbing (my one room can hold about 3 more. . . I might convince my downstairs neighbor(a vegan, nice guy if not climber) to host a few more. Ali --on KOTR-- lives here and might fit a few more. . .

Jeonju, you may know, is the home of world-famous bibimbap there are many cultural relics and sites around the city-- and it's a fun town. Those of you with non-climbing significant others might consider a compromise weekend of climbing, culture and film. Koreans who haven't been here should consider this week to come out and try some of the best climbing, the best movies, the best people and the best bibimbap in the country.

If Saturday night is a kicker like last time, my Uni has a climbing wall on campus that we ended up at (I did live closer then, but it's still a walk, short bus ride or W2500 taxi.) . . . there is now also a large covered public wall in case of rain!

Jake, Dee, K-L, Dong-il, Jenn, Shawn, Amanda, Bryan (are y'all still here?). . . if you haven't been to Jeonju. . . now's the time, and invite your non-climbing friends -- we can have several trips going by day and films by night?
Unread 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Tim

It kind of looks like opening weekend is the only weekend or am I reading that wrong? Still Film festivals is my favorite! I am in and carless but down to pitch in for a rental.
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
peace

It runs two weekends-- April 29 to May 2 (and I am off Friday, should anyone want to come early). With all the great climbing in and around, I could be persuaded to stick around for two weekends in a row. . . if by sticking around it means Maisan, Halmae or Yongseo. . .
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Tim

Sonia, got any idea how hard it would be to get tickets when I arrive. Do you recall any of the info for how to get to or from Jeonju?

Anyone else, who all is going? What are the plans for climbing? what are the plans for movie watching?
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
peace

the schedule and booklet are finally out!~
depending on the time and day and popularity, it's possible to by tickets 25 minutes ahead, but better to reserve if you know for sure what films. . . at night there are outdoor screenings, bands, and roaming performers-- a generally festive atmosphere. If people are coming from your way, maybe a Sunday at Yongseo, as it's somewhat on the way back.

If we wanted to go somewhere Sat, Maisan is also close, about an hour by bus to Jinan-- maybe less now with the new highway!? Shuttles run to and from downtown venues to the bus and train stations during the festival.

In the past, Friday has been more the movie night. Sat we got back too late and movies were sold out so we hung out and partied. Sun, well, last time was climbing at my Uni Wall. Now my city has a much better (totally covered wall) if people get a really late start and still want to get a few routes in.

Oh, and now as Matt and Amber have ordered gear (and Amber's been hitting the gym), they may be able to host, too:-)
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Snow Leopard

I have two weddings and a stag party that weekend, so I won't be able to make it - again. Haven't been to the film festival yet. I have been to Jeonju many times though; that's where my wife is from and most of her extended family still live there.

This reminds me, too, that the Seoul Green Film Festival will kick off next month. I saw 22 films at the Green Film Fest last year (admittedly because the KMPL was given a bunch of free tickets...), and most of them were excellent.
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
peace

Shawn, it runs two weekends! Why not visit the folks?
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Tim

anyone from my neighborhood going? (GEOJE/ SOUTH CENTRAL)
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Shawn, it runs two weekends! Why not visit the folks?

We have a special infield day with the KMPL on the second weekend. I never seem able to organize myself schedule for these out of town film fests or the meet and greet.
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Tim

Sonya, I am going to in the area, potentially climbing. Not sure, but, I am coming up with some Geoje cats. Not quite sure which way they are wanting to roll. Let you know when I figure it out! hope to see you this weekend.

PS how hard is it to buy tickets upon arrival?