Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
verticalcult

Yeong Dong Ice Park 2008-01-04/05

Well my children, Uncle Jake and Aunty Kyung Ah had a very physical and fun-tastic weekend playing about the re-vamped retro-rocket fitted super duper better than you are, dare to dream top-notch cool as ice park in Yeong Dong (near Daejeon). Joined we were by a VERY early startin' crew of the most positive and up-vibed characters you will ever find....Lindsey and Dave this means you! How many ways did we love it? Let me see...a sh#t load of ways!
There were crowds like you just couldn't believe. I think it was 2 belayers per quare metre (or yard) and a rope (horizontally counted) every metre (or yard). Excitement lurked at every cascading crash of ice and acrobatic duck, swing, pop, kick or what have you. Now you are saying to yourself..."Eh, what's all this? Sounds like a madhouse. Congestion, crowds, danger...glad I wasn't there!" But oh no, no, no, no dear friends. It was amazing. Despite all this it was super fun, funny and sooooooooooo positive and friendly. Somehow our group ended up with only 1 or 2 pairs of axes and boots, short a helmet and so on, but the sharing, swapping and helping out of virtual strangers was incredible. It was the Korean climbing experience at it's very best. Lunch was shred with lots of cheer. Local government officials who had kicked in 5 Billion won to make this place were all on hand to watch and chat. The hot snack stall did a roaring trade (good for the local economy), KOTR got lots of good plugs and the ice (despite falling blocks - rather like tears of joy I like to think - under the crowded load), well the ice was in perfect nick for happy simply TR climbing. Soft and plastique, beginners didn't feel trashed or frozen stiff. Oh man it was good. And at the end of it all we all piled into a restaurant and dined with the Daejeon Climbing Community.
More pics to come soon.
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Lindsey

Honestly, I can't say enough wonderful things about this place... it was unbelievable. There were so many people, but instead of feeling crowded, it felt like a big, happy party. With ice. And axes.

This is probably the coolest place I have been to in Korea (with the exception of Maisan, which you all should visit every single weekend as soon as it warms up ) I don't know if it was the overall atmosphere, fantastic company, ice conditions, delicious food, yummy hot chocolate, nice clean toilets, or the little raft on the river, but I had an INCREDIBLE time and would definitely recommend Yeong Dong to everyone!! It's really easy to get to, and the approach takes all of 2 minutes. Come check it out!