Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
View Poll Results: What dates do you want to have the Autum Meet and Greet?
September 5th-7th 8 24.24%
September 12th-14th (Sept 13th-15th is Chuseok!) 10 30.30%
Septerber 19th-21st 24 72.73%
September 26th-28th 10 30.30%
October 3rd-5th (Oct 3rd is a National Holiday) 7 21.21%
October 10th-12th 9 27.27%
October 17th-19th 6 18.18%
October 24th-26th 5 15.15%
October 31st-November 2nd 6 18.18%
November 7th-9th 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
peace

Quote:
Do talk like this too?
He does, worse, usually. . . but it's OK because he's Ozzie. . .

But Jake. . . say it isn't so. . . ? Anyway, you're a goer for Sat/Sun, hunh?
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Seorak Sender

new climber in town

Hey I'm fresh off the plane four days ago and a recent transplant from Boulder Colorado. I brought my full trad and sport rack but no rope and climb/lead 5.10 sport 5.8-9 trad. I would be really excited to go to the meet and greet some climbers next weekend. I was just wondering if people might be able to give me some direction on where seonunsan is from Seoul, how to get there, and what part of the park people are meeting etc. Any helpful information would be great.
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
verticalcult

Hey, from Seoul I think your best bet is to grab an express bus (from Seoul Express Bus Terminal) to (in order of preference) - Seonunsan Provincial Park (선운산도립공원) or Gochang Town in North Jeolla Province (전라북도의 고창시) or JeongEup City in North Jeolla Province (전라북도의 정읍시). The second two options then require you to either taxi or city bus it from there to the Seonunsan Park. Kinda expensive by taxi (if you are travelling solo) and I'm not sure which bus numbers. A train from Seoul also goes to JeongEup (정읍시)I think...Why not check out the transport to M&G thread and see if you can share a ride or travel with other Seoul KOTRers? Look here:
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...de-thread.html
For more info on getting to Seonunsan also see here (it's under search climbs or Rock Climbing areas (Soksalbawi):
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb...sort%3Dname%26
Hope this helps! See you there (I hope)
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Danielle: peek-a-boo anticipation

The meet and greet is on the 20 and 21st, right?
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Seorak Sender

I am really stoked about this KOTR meet and greet weekend. I was just wondering if I brought a friend with no real climbing experience but who wanted to try it for the first time and if someone might have an extra harness lying around to borrow for a day? Also, I am planning on arriving mid Saturday is there a particular crag that people hang out at in Sununsan that I could go to meet people after a tent set up frenzy. Or are any KOTR climbers leaving from Seoul in the early AM on Saturday on a bus and needs company or in a car and has some room to spare and likes gas money?
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
velocity girl

hey there...will try to bring my extra harness...but i might forget...but i will really try to remember...is your friend exceptionally sized in any way? because i have a fully adjustable med. size harness or a non-adjustable small...

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeery
I am really stoked about this KOTR meet and greet weekend. I was just wondering if I brought a friend with no real climbing experience but who wanted to try it for the first time and if someone might have an extra harness lying around to borrow for a day? Also, I am planning on arriving mid Saturday is there a particular crag that people hang out at in Sununsan that I could go to meet people after a tent set up frenzy. Or are any KOTR climbers leaving from Seoul in the early AM on Saturday on a bus and needs company or in a car and has some room to spare and likes gas money?
I'm planning on going down from Seoul on Sat morning by bus or train probably with one other person. Don't know as of yet how to get there though. So if you know the way or even if you don't, we could travel down together.
Unread 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
verticalcult

Hey, yeah sure and by all means, bring along a 1st timer or even a non-climbing type friend. The more the merrier (다다익선 in Korean btw). Seonunsan Provincial Park in North Jeolla Province near Gochang city (선운산 도립공원; 고창군 전라북도) should be accessible by bus from Seoul express bus terminal. It's on the west coast of Korea South of Gunsan and west from JeongEup if you are looking an a map. JeongEup is the nearest train station...from there you'd need to split a taxi (guessing 40,000won ride) or take a seperate bus (are plenty).
The crag where folks will be is called soksal (seoksal) bawi, and it's a simple walk up the main creekside trail from the ticket office (which is a 5 min walk from camp-ground adjacent to Youth Hostel) passed the temple and across the bridge either right there oppositethe temple or further up. It matters not which side of the creek you walk up. You'll come to a restaurant and toilet area (the last one before the crag!) about 10-15 mins after the temple area (get water in the temple if you need it). Straight behind this is a car track (often with low chain barrier). Go up this, cross the dam wall and up the steel staircase. Follow signs and foot-track UP the hill. 10 mins will bring you to the crag. Check out the Search climbs tool and look for Seoksalbawi, that will give you more beta. It's really easy to use, and easy to find.
Unread 09-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Aggressive Sheep

here is an image of the seonunsan layout. as Jake mentioned, walk up the main creek trail... A) all the way until the T and turn left, B) to the temple and left over the bridge, or C) left up the road after the ticket office. if you haven't experienced the whole main river trail, that is way more scenic (unless there is a lot of traffic which is why the old timers go straight for the road)
also note; this map does NOT show the new highway from highway 15 to the park (if you're driving - it's much faster and easier, an you'll have to make an extra effort to take the old road)
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Mainer

FYI
Jeongeup train station is only a 5 min walk from the Jeongeup bus station. walk out the train station and go straight up the main road until you come to the bus terminal on your right. from there you can take a bus to Hyeundeok then to Seonunsan< or from Hyeundeok take a 12,000w taxi to the park
just another option if you find yourself in Jeongeup.....