Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
I'm heading to Seoraksan for the weekend but plan on doing a 2 or 3 day traverse (haven't looked into details yet so start + end points are sketchy). I'll likely make it to Sokcho mid- to late-afternoon on Friday. With a little luck, maybe we'll cross paths in town.
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Danielle: peek-a-boo anticipation

Between my partner and I we have one helmet, one rope, a double rack, shoes, harnesses, etc. (all the necessary gear). We will also be pulling in late Friday night. Daphne's school "surprized" her with an extra class at 4:10 friday after school. ballsy.
Meeting at a little eating joint or other sit down place friday night for all or all who arrive friday night would be great. I also have never been to Sokcho or Seoraksan (in fact I have only been in Korea just less than two weeks). Friday night I have been offered a floor by another climber, but I am prepared into camping sat and sun night. We could all hike in together Saturday morning, sweaty and ready to climb.
Unread 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Rock Lobster

I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get there, but approaching a problem with a "screw it, let's just do it" mentality. If I leave from Seoul Friday night, I may hope to get into Sokcho early sat morning.
I have a 50 meter rope. I'll bring it if we really need it, but 60s are really better. I've no helmet, not getting why the warning is so emphatic... the rock didn't seem that loose when I was there, though of course I defer to Sonya in matters of experience.
What are people thinking here? Just doing some routes and camping? A nice long ridge route, perhaps? I've done it once, but have no black and white beta on the subject.
I will say that the Jim Jil Bang in Sokcho is a fine place to stay, just bring ear plugs.
Unread 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Lindsey

Hey Cyphecks (Ethan?), I'll be getting in around 10:30 or 11 on Thursday night too, would there be room for me in your min-bak/motel?
Unread 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Seorak Sender

assuming i can in fact find somewhere to stay, there will defiinitely be room. the more the merrier. it will be a new experience and place for me, so im just going to see what i can find - check my guidebook and whatnot. i'm under the impression that sokcho is not that big of a town, so lets try and meet at the bus stop when we get in that night. you can give me a ring on my cell when you get in, and we can figure something out from there. 010 6806 0603.
anybody feel free to take that number down and give me a ring if it would help with any planning/meeting.
Unread 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Lindsey

Awesome! I've been to Sokcho a couple times, it's a great little town. My number is 010 8505 2982, so I guess just give me a call when you arrive and whoever gets there first can go min-bak hunting : )
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Masa Onda

Helmet

Dear KOTR members

Hello, I walked around the downtown Sokcho and found a cheap helmet for construction work. It costs only 8,000 won so it is way cheaper than brand-name helmet such as Kamp etc.

I got it at the plumber's shop on the opposite corner of Annam plaza in Sokcho city. Rember that this Friday is Tusak so the shop might be closed. I guess that you can get one in your town either, so you should get one beforehand if you don't have.

I am looking to meeting you guys this weekend.

Masa
Unread 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM

late night friday buses...

I have researched the buses and trains and they look like impossible connections to arrive in Sokcho friday night,one of us has a late class on friday so we wouldn't be able to take the bus before 7:30 from Yeoungwol (near Wonju). This bus will only however take us to Gangnueng and then by the time we arrive there, there will probably not be any buses until the morning to Sokcho. We have a few friends in gangneung (if they will be there) we can probably stay overnight and take the earliest bus saturday. Or maybe someone knows someone else that is driving up that way for the weekend??? We could meet them in Gangneung and drive up to Sokcho late friday night??? Otherwise Daphne and I will have to meet up with the banda Saturday morning. Any suggestions?
Unread 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Mainer

Diana and I will be spending Fri night in Gangnueng and heading to Sokcho early Sat. We could split a minbak.
Unread 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM

Do you have a cell phone we could contct you? Ps, is you oicture that of potrero chico?? (i lived there for 2 years!)