Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
peace

I think there were quite a few folks working it. . . any idea who or what gym he was from?
Unread 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Seorak Sender

What about Ae-bawi??

Hi Everyone,

What about the other beginner crag? Ae-bawi? As far as I know, there aren't any tombs out that way. Is the closure restricted to Opera Hourse?

Thanks
Unread 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Jiri Jammer

Not sure where he was from, maybe Pyontaek or some crazy name like that. I just found he sent it. talk about cutting it close.
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
velocity girl

tjosie, his name is mr. jang (duk-hyun), and YES! he sent!!!

congratulations mr. jang, if you ever happen to read this...

re: the crag closure...it is a really sad and unfortunate thing, regardless of your feelings about the crag involved. (i personally liked maisan a lot!) however, please don't feel that korean climbers (or even temple-dwelling landowners) were placing the blame specifically on foreigners. the korean climbers were not blaming the foreign climbers, rather were just trying to inform us of the problem.

either way, this is an important situation for all of us to consider, regardless of nationality. although we may feel entitled as global citizens (or whatever) climbers don't simply have a right to access any climbable area, due to the laws of lands (however unfortunate)... however, with a constant effort at building and maintaining positive relationships and mutual respect through our actions and words, we can often be granted access to most, if not all, existing and potential crags. due to a number of recent events, a few of us, myself included, have been inspired to try harder at maintaining a positive attitude and good relationships with people inside and outside of the climbing community. this is something that can always be improved and i hope that people are willing to take the effort to do so, even though it's definitely not always easy. sometimes it's difficult to remember that our climbs, crags and projects are not everyone else's interest or priority, and that we climbers can even be <gasp> intrusive or irritating to others. we may even be perplexed or annoyed by the actions of other climbers, as they are by our actions. let's try to focus on getting past all of those barriers and understanding each other. (for the sake of access, if nothing else! although there are plenty of other good reasons for being on our best behaviour too!^^)

some good news regarding opportunities to get involved with the very issue mentioned above! next weekend (5/21-23) is kotr's first initiatives event! the plan is to hit yongseo pokpo and do a clean-up there. due to the limited space at the crag, those organizing the event have respectfully requested that people wishing to get involved sign up so that we can minimize our impact and don't overwhelm the crag. there is a sign-up thread under one of the initiatives threads on the forum page, i believe. the plan is to do crag clean-up, re-bolting lines and re-setting anchors in conjunction with the local climbing clubs, and perhaps even installing a trash disposal system and new toilet (or at least improving the current toilet of death). if you are not able to take part this weekend, no worries. it will be an ongoing project and there will be plenty of other opportunities for you to join (as well as other initiatives in the future).^^

hope to see some out there (or all of you at some point), whether you're doing it for good karma, crag access, or simply for the sake of climbing safer routes or feeling safer when you visit the toilet...^^

cheers all~!^^v

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)