Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 11-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Snow Leopard

2008 UN International Mountain Day

The 2008 UN International Mountain Day is nearly upon us. UNIMD is a day established by the UN to raise awareness of the ecological and cultural importance of mountains. It falls every year on December 11.

Some of you attended last year's humble little event. It was a nice time, a great start to an annual event that the KMPL and others are committed to.

This year, the seminar will be held on Sunday, December 7 at O2 World in Uidong, Gangbuk-gu, Seoul (I'm sure most of you know where it is). The owner of O2 has very kindly and gladly provided us with the 4th floor conference room free-of-charge for the event. Very nice gentleman.

Like last year, there will be a traditional sanshin-jae (mountain spirit ceremony), lectures by some of Korea's foremost authorities on mountain-related subjects (including our very own Mr Jake Preston). There will also be a tour like last year; the difference being that this year's tour will be of the facilities at O2 (last year's tour was of Doseonsa, just up the hill). There will be a viewing of a documentary, and a door prize for one lucky winner. After the events are all done around 5:00, we will retire for food and drink to the O2 Pub on the 5th floor where we've reserved 40 seats (so, if you wish to join our table, please RSVP via the KMPL). Please check out the KMPL site for complete details on the speakers and the events.

This year promises to be bigger and better than last year. I truly think, and I'm sure Jake will back me up, that all of you will find the seminar truly interesting.

The great thing about this year is those who are inclined can go for a hike in the morning up the hills or for a climb at O2, and then join us at 1:00.

I hope to see everyone there. Please come out and show your support for this very important day.

For complete details, visit the KMPL site at www.kmpl.org.
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:12 AM
verticalcult

Please come! Please Come! I'll be the weakest reason to attend, but door prizes and a buch of good talkers and presenters is a must attend event! I'll give you a belay if you show up!
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Slippery Slopers

I'll ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. Will the seminar be in English or Korean?
Unread 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
verticalcult

Yeah, I believe almost everything will be bilingual....and what isn't will probably be in English rather than Korean. It should be quite accessible to both Koreans and foreigners, so don't let that put you off.
Unread 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Snow Leopard

Yes, as much of it as possible will be bilingual. The documentary will be shown in English with Korean subtitles, and as many of the lectures as possible will be bilingual.

And Jake is by far not the weakest reason to attend! He may, indeed, be the most handsome reason to attend.
Unread 11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Seorak Sender

I am very interested in attending - do we need to register beforehand? I probably should check out the posted website before asking anymore questions!
Unread 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Snow Leopard

There's no need to register, no. If you would like a decent seat up front, you may want to RSVP. Our webmaster told me that about ten people have already RSVP'd.
Unread 12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Snow Leopard

We're winding down. The last week before the seminar is busy as we top off final preparations.

Again, I'd like to send my warmest invitation to everyone to join the seminar and join the international celebration of the ecology and culture of mountains.

I was contacted by the UNFAO (the KMPL is registered with their mountain management program) yesterday and they informed me that as far as their records indicate, we are the only group holding a significant event to mark IMD in Korea. They praised us for our creativity and have asked me to provide a full report on the seminar for them when it's all said and done.

Please, come out and help spread the word of the necessity to protect our mountains and to celebrate their wondrous beauties.
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Snow Leopard

Well, the IMD seminar has come and gone again. It was a success, a nice turnout, a great time, a wonderful learning experience, and fine bonding of concerned attitudes on the future mountain ecosystems, and ecosystems as a whole.

I'd like to thank Jake for his moving speech. I hope you all can join us next year.

Remember, the actual IMD is the 11th. If you can try to find a way to celebrate, please do.