Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Jiri Jammer

Moving to Ulsan

Hey KOTR gang,

I was living and loving life in Sokcho last year and I know that it is going to be difficult to beat, but I have been offered a pretty decent job in Ulsan, and was wondering if anyone has anything nice to say about the city. I've read up on the climbing, and that seems great, but I would really like to know more about the city itself and the area.

Most of the posters on Daves ESL cafe have pretty lousy things to say about the city. Pollution, lack of cultural activities, a generally unfriendly population...

Can anyone say anything good about the place?

Thanks

Robert
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
send train

i haven't actually been there, but i know climber that lives there, and all i can say is "sucks to be you". but i'm also not the best person to ask because sucks to be you is my answer to everything.
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM
tinker bell

Munsu san is some of the best sport climbing in korea. i have heard that it can be kind of a lonely place to live though. i would say move to pusan instead.
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Climber of Rocks

It sucks. I speak from experience. I live here now. It seems like an odd question, but do you have a girlfriend, a dog or a climbing partner coming with you? I moved here to climb, because I too was lured in by the promise of a beautiful mountain, but I have found it tryingly difficult to find a steady climbing partner in the city. There have been tears. Real ones. Made of salt water.

Apart from climbing, travel out of here is stupidly difficult for how big the place is--it has the largest square milage of any city in Korea. There really are two downtowns: "New Downtown"--Shigaetop Rotary area and "Old Downtown"--Samson-dong area. Then there's Moogeo-dong, the area by Ulsan University. All three have a few bars, restaurants, and shopping. There aren't any real museums apart from the dolphin museum, and I can't bring myself to go there. There is a lack of a general cultural experience.

It's a cold place to live as far as people go. Many of the foreigners don't acknowledge one-another. I have actually played a few open-mic nights and some paid gigs and found that I still barely get nods. If drinking is your thing--I'm not judging--this is probably a great place to be. There are three main bars that Westerners frequent, and if you want to meet some white folk, these are the places to go.

Well, if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I don't know what to tell you. For sure think it over, and send me a PM or get in touch with me some other way if you want to know anything else.

I will say this on the positive side: HB Alpine, the climbing club here, are simply fantastic people. They have been one of the few things that has made my time here a great experience. That may be because I'm a girl... dunno.
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
send train

you really want to move to busan, you just don't know it yet. the two hottest girls in korea will be living here and they climb! plus there is myself, a rather unattractive hairy chested woman that knows how to show a boulderer a good time.

but you're only welcome to move here if you have a pad or know how to spot. jk
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Jiri Jammer

ouch

This doesn't sound good.

I am at least moving there with my girlfriend, so that helps. We are also generally pretty busy as we are taking a masters degree via correspondence right now, and that keeps us occupied.

Heather, how much longer will you be in Ulsan? My girlfriend and I won't be there until March...

Thanks for the beta everyone...
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Climber of Rocks

I leave on Feb 12, 2009. I'm moving to Busan probably early March, so I won't be far if you guys need beta on anything specific.

It all depends on what you want to get out of your time in Korea. I can tell you that I spent most of mine traveling. Out of the whole year I've been here, I've only spent four or five weekends here.
Unread 12-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Jiri Jammer

see you in March-ish

alright, alright, I know I'll probably kick myself later for this, but I accepted the job...looks like I'll be there in March. Choss Monkey, down for some spring bouldering?? I'll go halves on a pad with you when I get there...spotting...I can steer you in the right direction. By the way, sweet art work!