Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
AFclimber

2013 Spring Meet and Greet April 19-21st

Hello everyone! It's that time of year again. A bunch of us have been talking and it seems like the weekend of April 19th-21st is a good date for most to get together for our annual meet and greet. This year we will be heading back to Seonunsan Park. Sonia asked if I wouldn't mind helping out putting this together. Hopefully I do her justice.

For those of you new to Korea or the climbing world, you are more then welcome to come out. We have climbers of all levels. If you are new, please let us know if you have your own gear. Many of us have extra stuff (I have an extra harness and 2 extra pairs of shoes).

You are welcome to stay where ever you would like but most of us will probably be camping out. We usually like to do a large group meal. I will be creating anoth link for rides and food. What we ask is that if you plan on camping and eating, please make sure you contribute either cash or food.

Last but not least, we want everyone to have a great time but let's make sure we respect the area and the people around us (trash/noise). Can't wait to see everyone!!!!
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
AFclimber

Check out these other links for food and rides/directions.

http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...8769#post18769

http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...reet-food.html
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Seorak Sender

I didn't know if you guys were trying to get a head count or not, but I'd like to come if I can find a way up there. I have shoes, 2 harnesses, and 10 draws. I'm ordering a rope, but I doubt it will be here by the time the meet and greet happens.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
tinker bell

What ever happened to voting on where and when the meet and great was going to be?
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
AFclimber

Sonia had said that in the past voting did not work very well and that almost every year the spring meet and greet is down south and fall is up in ganhyeon. If the dates are a problem for a bunch of people we can go ahead and switch the dates. All inputs are always welcome.
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM
peace

oh sure, blame me^^

Micheal. . . you know we pretty much alternated Ganhyeon and Seonunsan since the firt M&Gs! yeah, we've voted on dates, but so few people voted in previous years, and not all of those people show, so when someone else took on the initiative of organizing, I was happy to agree!

While I am cool with other dates, too! April 20 is the start of the big 6 month Garden Fest here, so I'm happy to get out of dodge. . .

JF. . . I've got a rope (and an old rope that could still be used as a TR before I make it into a rug) and an extra harness and an extra paid on little shoes (ladies' 7 or 7.5) . . . so bring what you have and we always make do!
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Seorak Sender

This is probably not a new idea and maybe this has been done before, but have you guys thought to post this m/g on the Seoul climbing meetup group? http://www.meetup.com/climbinginkore...r/?scroll=true They have over 2,000 members and every weekend they have well attended events usually with wait listing. I know in the past they have had climbing trips too. But due to the cold weather in recent months, they have been having mostly weekend hiking trips. A climbing trip would be a welcome break from the monotony of hikes. Plus, if you let them know that there will be extra gear for people to borrow, I'm sure you will get even more interest from folks.

Since there is currently one other hike for that weekend, if you advertise now, people can plan ahead for the climbing weekend. It would seem like an easy way to bring more visibility to KOTR m/g since it's still somewhat obscure event. It would be awesome if we can make this the most epic m/g ever with a large turnout.

If there is a critical mass of folks at the m/g it would be nice to have some sort of gear swap area where people can barter/swap/trade their wares. Problem is in Korea, there doesn't seem to be opportunities like this. So it would be great if we could simple set aside some space for people to trade their gears throughout the weekend so people have at least this one time in the year where they know they can swap gear with others.
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Taaaaaaake

Hi friends! We just got to Korea a short time ago and haven't had the chance to find rocks yet. We're very excited for this meet and greet and we'll be coming from Gwangju. We might only be coming for the Saturday as we don't have any camping gear. Are there still things we could bring for the day that would be helpful for the event?

Steve
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM
peace

Steve, there are actually a few direct busses from Gwangju to Seoununsan (maybe it's referred to as Seonunsa the temple rather than the mountain, but same park) from Gwangju).

Besides staying in other people's tents and borrowing camping gear (but seriously, better to buy it sooner rather than later. It's cheap enough and you'll be using it a lot!) there are hotels, minbaks and a youth hostel right near the campgrounds. With a few people it won't be too expensive. Check my profile and shoot me a message as I live fairly close and will be doing some climbing before then as well.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey everyone! Me and my boyfriend are super beginners, I have a lot of indoor/wall climbing experience and my own harness, but that's it for gear.
My boyfriend has never been climbing before but I really want to get him into it.
Do you think it would be possible for us to join?
Cheers,
-Jess