Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
verticalcult

International Ice Climbers Wanted!

Hi all,
News is out. There will be a huge and super cool and fun "International Ice Climbing Comp" at YeongDong Ice Park this coming Jan 28-29th. Last year was a total bum trip with foot and mouth disease shutting down this and other ice climbing areas, but the lads (especially maestro climber/ manager Han Sanghoon) have been working hard to make this years event a comeback mega-success.
So, if you swing the picks and wear spiked heels my sexy winter loving compadres, this is FOR YOU! The rego website in English as well as all info should be ready within a week, but pm me or tentatively rego here.
The event will be in Mens and Womens sections, speed and difficulty sections and a team section too. Most if not all is on Top Rope (the Team Events usually involve lead climbing by at least 1 member though).
They DESPERATELY want as many foreign ice climbers as possible. You may not be up there in the top 10 (Koreans are hardcore amazing ice climbers...be in no doubt) but as long as you have some experience and are willing to give it your best...be in it!
The ice park is awesome. The link is on KOTR under ice climbing areas and anyone who has been there before will tell you it is the bomb! Crowded as Hell during weekends, true, but open til 9-10pm I think. Music, food stalls, toilets and strict safety protocols (plus the requirement to TR ONLY!) make it unique and great for all levels. Water Ice 3-6 climbing, from short 15m stuff to full on 60m plus epics!
It's just off the main Expressway (south of Daejeon) between Seoul and Daegu.
The comp will be awesome so please please please pass on the notice to all your mad ice mates and hope to see a big contingent from the ex-pat/ international community.
Thanks and have a grand, safe and freezing winter!
Jake (Daejeon...not Busan/ Nepal).
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
verticalcult

Sorry for late post, the English page was late in getting done and is only the application page. If you want to join in the Yeongdong Ice Comp January 28-29th here is the web-page. All foreign climbers get accomm, food and transport free. So if you come down by train/ bus etc, keep reciepts I guess. A hotel in Yeong-dong village will house competitors and transport will be provided to ice park. Sat is preliminaries in Mens and Womens general (tech difficulty) and Speed, and a 3rd category for Masters (seniors) is also open.
Sunday will be finals.
Competitors get a souveneir fleece and it should be an awesome day.

www.ydbb.kr
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Climb<암벽등반>

Hello falks,
Anyone interested in participating this events just text me at my cell 010-3595-3701 your name and nationality, that's it. They need more foreigners and a special/secret bonus will be given away to KOTRers. Pm me if you want to know. Definitely, doesn't matter how good at ice climbing just enjoy your day out there.