Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
verticalcult

Exclamation Adopt a Snow Leopard!? KOTR can do it!

Hi-ho good folks! Uncle shanja here again on the behest of the KMPL, the endangered species of snow leopard and my own greenie-bent provocations (thus being tripley behested no less).
I'm sure a fair few of you know the good work being done by our friends at the Korean Mountain Protection League (formerly the Korean Mountaineering League)...mountain clean-ups, govt lobbying, public awareness campaigns and ecological monitoring to name but a few. Well now they have secured a chance via several international agencies to expand their works, powers and opportunities. One of which is the "financial" adoption of snow leopards by individuals/ groups. The moneyy goes to preserving their habitat, as well as their health and to compensate/ reward/ buy local farmers etc into greener actions and thoughts. It's a super good campaign to get in on I think, and so I've posted below Shawn's letter to me, which explains how things stand. I really hope a few of us can get in on this. It is sooooo cheap, and what a difference it could make...this might even be a great chance to resolve the identity of our mascot...as once upon a time leopards also inhabited the peninsula, though they became extinct here by the early 1900s.
I will meet Shawn next week in Seoul (probably) so if you were willing to trust me (and him) I'll give you a receipt, and carry any donations to him then. You could simply give me the cash at Ganhyeon Halloween party, or else contact Shawn directly. Here's the message:

Quote:
Dear KMPL Council, members, and supporters,
First, I apologize for the spam (and this lengthy e-mail), but this is the most effective way to contact everyone (and despite
the length, please read through).

Recently, per my duties as KMPL president, I've been working to expand the KMPL's network. I'm happy to say that, for the most part, that work has proven
successful and the KMPL network now includes many outstanding NGOs, including one of our newest contacts HOPE and its management director, Mr Philip Lozano
(please visit their website to see the remarkable work they are doing to help needy children in Korea and volunteer: www.alwayshope.or.kr). Furthermore, our network has begun
to expand beyond Korea's borders. Just recently, the KMPL was recognized by the World Environment Foundation, a division of the Earthday Network (to which we
belong), and will honoured by the WEF with a free water-monitoring kit. This kit will come in handy when we begin our monitoring of major water sources (catchments,
drainages, and riparian habitat) in Bukhansan National Park in spring 2009.

In addition, the KMPL just recently joined the Snow Leopard Trust (www.snowleopard.org). The Trust is a superb NGO working to maintain biodiversity within the
Himalaya by protecting one of its most endangered top level predators. Snow leopards are vital to the ecology of the Himalaya but they are red listed as critically
endangered. There are approximately 4000 to 7500 left in the wild (and less than a 1000 in zoos); now, before you crunch those numbers, consider the sheer vastness
of the leopards' Himalayan range (over 1,200,000 square km). Those numbers are unsustainable. The highest population of leopards in the wild is in China, with
roughly 2000 to 5000 individuals; however, China has only two conservation areas for protection the leopards but one them is a location of great international interest:
Chomolungma National Nature Preserve, which is the northern foothills and flanks of Mount Everest in Tibet. Not protecting this area would cite protest globally and
would be reason for the UNESCO to remove Mount Everest as a World Heritage Site (at least on the northern side). Designating this area as a leopard conservation
area is of political interest. When you consider the ratio of leopards to conservation areas in China with the same ratio in, say, Nepal (300-500 leopards:4 conservation
areas), the necessity for stricter levels of protection become evident. One of the largest threats to the leopards is poaching and killing of leopards by farmers who
shoot leopards for attacking their livestock. The Trust works to investigate poachers and provides free education on prevention farming techniques and ecology
to Himalayan farmers. In return, the local people make goods, such as handmade garments, rugs, toys, slippers, etc. and sells them via the Trust, who then return
all proceeds to the farmers, maintaining a stronger local economy while strengthening ecological and biodiverse-friendly farming practices.

The process of helping the Trust comes from donations and 'adoptions.' Set donation costs, called adoption fees, are used to directly protect either a single leopard,
a mother and cub, or a mother and several cubs. Adoption fees are based on cost estimates to protect the animals' ecological well-being from human intervention.
For a single cub, it's $50.00, a single adult $65.00, and up to $135.00 for a family of leopards. The breakdown of this adoption costs and where the money goes is
on the Trust's website.

I've been a member of the Trust myself for some time and decided to join the KMPL. Some discussion among the KMPL Council some time ago centered around this
and it's finally come to be. As a gift of thanks and appreciation, the SLT has given the KMPL the option to adopt a snow leopard family for 20% off of the
usual donation fee (the Trust will meet the remaining 20%). I'm viewing this as an extracurricular project of the KMPL as it focuses on mountain-related protection
outside of Korea. Therefore, it would be wonderful if all of you, the Council, members, and supporters of the KMPL could give a small donation to help fund our adoption
of a snow leopard family. Anything will do, 1000 won, 5000 won, 10,000 won, anything will be appreciated to help us help conservation and social welfare
in other mountainous regions. Once the adoption is complete and the KMPL receives its adoption kit from the Trust, I'll have all the information put up the KMPL site.
Also, with the package we will receive a few handmade goods from one of the Himalayan families that the Trust is supporting. Once we receive our adoption package,
we will put all the names of those who donated in a hat and select a winner of one of the handmade products.

Please let me know if you're interested in helping out, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

- Shawn

www.snowleopard.org
www.alwayshope.or.kr
www.kmpl.org

We must become the change we want to see in the world.
- Gandhi
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Snow Leopard

Thanks again, Jake, for the shameless plug! Always appreciated.

I really hope everyone can see the difference that this can make. Every small thing matters - it's the single step that leads us to journey's end. And every little bit of money counts. Like Jake mentioned, it is really cheap especially if we all do it together. What's 1000 won out of our pockets, us who love the mountains - a 1000 won to help protect them? For that matter, what's 5000 won? It could be 5000 won that in the long run we're really happy to have spent on something truly worthwhile. The KMPL has already put 80,000 won in from its coffers, and we're hoping to receive the rest for one family of leopards from donations.

We are also hoping that we can raise enough money whereby we can adopt several families of snow leopards, and start a wide campaign. Hopefully, a similar program (which is currently under construction) will finally see the light of day for the Asiatic black bears here in Korea.

Any little bit helps. I hope you can donate.

NOTE: Just a little sidebar, the new name of the NGO is the Korean Mountain Preservation League, rather than Protection League.
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Snow Leopard

For those interested, have a look at the KMPL's site which has now been updated to reflect our drive for the snow leopards.

It also shows the upcoming fundraiser being hosted by Animal Rescue Korea (those of you in Daejeon likely know who they are and what fantastic work they're doing) this Friday, November 7.

www.kmpl.org
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:18 PM
send train

can we move this to the kmpl section so it's easier to find?
Unread 11-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Snow Leopard

I concur. Eric?
Unread 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Snow Leopard

Sad news out of Mongolia

Hello everyone,
I woke this morning to a sad e-mail. The Snow Leopard Trust has informed me that a young leopard, named Longtail, has recently been killed by a herder protecting his herd.
As the Trust points out, this is a tragic indication of how much still needs to be done to develop a more secure balance between the conservation of the extremely important snow leopard, the well-being of the mountain people, and the ecology of the Himalaya.

This is the new as it is reported on the Trust's website:

Dear Friends,
For the past few months we have all been following the snow leopards living in the South Gobi near our new long-term study site. Thanks to photo trap cameras and GPS collars we have been learning a great deal about where the cats go and how they live their lives. We recently learned the grim challenges faced by the cats as well.

It is with heavy heart that I write to inform you that the snow leopard named Longtail (known as Bayartai in Mongolian), was killed by a herder defending his livestock. This has come as a terrible shock and our entire team is devoted to learning the details of this unfortanate event.

We first met Longtail when he was captured on film by hidden trap cameras over the summer of 2008. On September 14, 2008, he was fitted with a radio collar and we had the privilege of following his wide-ranging movements through Mongolia's Tost Mountains for nearly 4 months. The information gained from Longtail and the other cats is invaluable as we work to develop programs that will ensure the survival of these beautiful animals.

In the coming days, many of your questions will be addressed through our website and blog. We will also be issuing an offial press release. If you have other questions you are welcome to contact us about Longtail by writing to [email protected]. Thank you for your support through this entire project. I truly hope that together we can help prevent the loss of the other snow leopards still surviving in the Tost mountains and beyond.

Sincerely, Brad Rutherford Executive Director

The KMPL is continuing its efforts to assist the Snow Leopard Trust through our Project: Global Conservation, Focus Snow Leopards. We've already 'adopted' a full family and we've received our adoption package from the Trust! We'll be posting photos of the package on the KMPL site soon.

http://www.snowleopard.org/
Unread 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
verticalcult

Tragic, but then that is the risk in having endangered animals living as they should, in the wild. It's impossible to protect them as much as we'd like. Maybe some more donations will flow in outta renewed sympathy?
Unread 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Snow Leopard

Update on Longtail

I received an e-mail this morning from the Trust with this update on the killing of Longtail:

Longtail was shot in the early morning hours of New Year's Day. Bayara, our Mongolia Country Director, went to the study site immediately upon learning of his death. She met with the herder, Octyaber (October), while he was being interviewed by police and learned the cat was killed while raiding the herder's livestock corral. Octyaber could face a fine, or even jail time, if it is determined he knowingly killed the snow leopard; however this has not yet been determined. Bayara also met with other government officials and eight families that have also suffered livestock losses in the area.

They said information will be released as it becomes known.
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
pastafarian

This is really moving. I don't want to lower the tone as they are really majestic animals but we discussing some possible fundraising projects before christmas.

It was suggested that maybe some of the hairier male members of kotr could offer to have spots waxed on theirs backs/chests to raise some money for the cause, it would be good to incorporate a bit of giving back during the next meet and greet......? Any other suggestions.

If anyone hasn't seen the BBC documentary 'Beyond the myth' it is really worth watching. They are truly awe inspiring creatures.

W.
Unread 02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
verticalcult

Goodonya Will! I love crazy stunts to raise money for a good cause! I dunno if I'd go in for the chest/ back shaving....KA does a pretty full job on that herself!
But why not? I think if not the shaving maybe a body paint comp? Who can dress up as the best snow leopard thing...just don't know how we convert the fab ideas into cash for the cats.
Definitely we should have a fundraiser drive at the next Meet and Greet, with a proper poster/ ad thing to keep the issue in mind. Thanks for the note here to keep it alive.