Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 09-27-2008, 10:24 PM
finder of boulders

Busan boldering

I've been here close to two months now, and I keep finding areas that have potential for boldering. I am without crashpad at the moment but I keep checking out areas that look really promising and I've worked on cleaning up a few problems for the day that I do get a pad and spotter. I have the area above PNU and 장전동 prety well covered (I just spent 8 hours today alone walking up and down the mountain on and off trails)

If anyone finds other areas please post up here, and I'll help scout and clean. 95% of what I find is choss but there are areas with concentrations of good rock if you look around and don't mind going off trail through the spider webs.

Evan from this forum has also been looking, but there is far more than two people could ever check out. I need people to let me know if they find an area that looks like it has a lot of potential or if there are areas that aren't worth my time. As soon as I get a pad or two the best area will get developed first, unless it's far, then the best area near me will get developed first.

PLACES I'VE CHECKED THAT LOOK GOOD

The best area so far is an area with big boulers at the top of the cable car from onceonjong. it's not the large boulderfield between the cable car and south gate 남문. I only found a few good problems there. This place is a little more off of the beaten path. I have only begun to look around, but it looks great. The main trail heading down from the cable car also has some potential (mostly at the top), but agian I have only scratched the surface. It really needs to checked out more.

The area above PNU has some good stuff, but a lot of it is small and the tall ones don't always have the best landings.. pads would really help.

Further above PNU there is an ugly suspension bridge. You can see this area from bus 203 that heads through the mountains. follow the trail on the north side of the bridge up hill untill you get to the workout area and outdoor reading area. this whole area can be broken into 3 bouldering areas. The first being the entire ridge just south of the reading room. I've cleaned a lot of this area all ready but haven't sent many yet. There are a few really good problems there that come to mind, but since I was solo when I went, I didn't try them. The next area is up the stream and it's many forks just behind up from the reading area. This has tons of potential, but the problems are in small clusters and I haven't searced it all yet. The third is the ridge above the workout area. Again, it has potential but needs to be searched further.

Another good area is a couple ridges over from PNU. You can get there from 장전동 easily, but I can't really describe how to get there off hand.

The last area (and the least exciting) is close to beomosa subway stop but on the east side, NOT the side that the temple is on. The temple side looks like it could be really good but I haven't checked it yet. The direction are to go out the furthest south east exit and head down the road until you see some tall apartment buildings with 101 written on the side way up the hill. This should be just a couple small streets past the big cemetary road. Work your way up the hill toward those builings and you will find a trail head just to the left of them. Go up to the work out area and take the trail to the left, not the main one on the right. go up to the top of the ridge and you will stumble across of of several areas. This area has tons of boulders, but only some are good and have features. It's not the best area, but I did see a few really cool problems there and it could still be explored some more. The south end of the ridge has some huge rock faces, but not much bouldering potential.

If you need better directions let me know, I'll write out good directions and post up pics in the next month or so.

Please post up any info you have. And please don't just look for pretty boulders, but make sure they are solid and have climbable features.
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
send train

Oops! I always forget I have two names on this forum for some reason. If you send a pm send it to choss monkey not choss. Sorry.
Unread 10-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Seorak Sender

boulderin

hey i live in changwon,

when u will go checking bouldering places, maybe i come from changwon and join.

Philipp
Unread 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
send train

I think I just found an area on par with the RB's or Foxhole Boulders! It's about a 30 min drive North of Busan. It's actually in Yongsan and I saw that bus 88 goes kinda close to it but I still need to figure it out. I just went with a friend hiking there this morning. I'll post back up when I figure things out a little better.

Any Busan climbers have a car?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New areas have been added to the "Bouldering Areas" section.

Last edited by choss monkey : 10-31-2008 at 02:03 AM.