Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
verticalcult

On behalf of the new folks at KOTR

Hey ho guys and girls,
If you've been on KOTR awhiles it's easy to forget what it's like to be a newcomer (either to climbing, Korea or KOTR itself). As happens every spring, we've got a lot of "newbies" signed up and itching to take part in the KOTR thing. So, please, if you are putting a trip together or if you see a request for help/ beta etc POST it or pm the people. Some days, sure you just wanna hang with a few close buddies and work a project etc, no worries. But if you are hitting a crag/ gym and don't mind others joining in get the message out. I've noticed recently a lot of folks (not all newbies either) who didn't know there was a climb on they could join in with, or felt like they were imposing if they asked to be able to join. That's a bit sad, eh? So, lets all try and keep looking out for each other. You may even meet a new cool buddy.
Unread 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
peace

Everyone is welcome to join me on the weekends and/or during the week as I am travelling to finish this book (which may take longer and cost way more than expected!) I'll be hitting every area of the country, having some adventures!! Thanks to those of you who've pitched in already!! New and old people can definitely help with more technical aspects of putting the book together if they want! I will find a job to suit your abilities. See the book thread.

Finally, a reminder for new people to take part in the Meet and Greet, and to fill in your profile. If you list some contact info, experience level, gear etc, I can probably work around those things during the trip!
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
verticalcult

Hello dearest wall-rats, crack-addicts, pebble-wrestlers, dirt-baggers, rope-guns, belay-slaves and climbers all!
Uncle Jake here (yet again ) to act the evil role of that angelic "good" conscience thing and urge us all to keep up the awesome community spirit by taking a newbie or two under our wings when we can and sharing the dream-life with them.
Now, I'm not asking you to assume responsibilities or roles you are not qualified for or uncomfortable with, but just to remember that you too were once a newb , and in need of the odd pointer, partner, beta-giver or whatever. We have a lot of 'newer' members who like you, ache to climb more. As the chill cloak of winter befalls the peninsula's bounds, and gyms fill again with us all, why not use the safety, comfort and convenience of such sacred halls to help out a newbie and maybe introduce them to the local Koreans at the gym? By all means push them a little to learn some extra Korean, and if they seem decent enough, maybe even help them with the inevitable gear shopping they'll need and want.
Winter in a foreign land can be a time of some home-sickness for newly arrived folk, and the more so at X-mas/ Hannukah/ Haj/ New years etc...a few new friendly faces, an "in" to the Korean community and some climbing would surely turn that around a trillion percent. Thanks and commendations in advance, dear wags!