Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-12-2008, 05:05 AM
send train

Climbing / Living questions for Busan

I'm about to move back to Korea after 2 years away. I used to live in Seoul but the yellow dust nearly killed me. This time I think I'll try Busan. I still have about 4 or 5 months to search for a job, and I was wondering what the better areas are to live. I have thought about looking for work near Jungang-dong, Oncheonjang, and yeonsan-dong because of the gyms near each location. Which of these gyms / locations would you say is more desirable?

I never had a chance to travel to Busan when I lived in Seoul so I'm kinda doing this blind. Also any info on beautiful hikes and what sub stop they are near would help a lot.

감사합니다
Unread 01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
send train

based on my research of gyms and climbing areas around pusan, i'm leaning toward the oncheonjang area. in my mind i'm picturing an insubang type area with a nice mountain and a sweet climbing gym at the base. it's probably not like that at all, but i'm hoping.

has anyone been to oncheonjang? is it a good area? or are there better areas?
Unread 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Aggressive Sheep

nice mountain range with a lot of trails and a few cragging areas. since it's a range there isn't a single base but there might be an access point with what you're looking for. i believe the sweet climbing wall/gym is one stop (+- 1 stop) away on the subway and a short walk away from the mountains. for food, canadian microbrew, and action PNU is nearby.
if hiking and climbing is tops on your list that would be the place to live...but you should confirm that with someone who actually lives there. though i think most of the busanites are out of the country at the moment.
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
peace

oncheonjang area

well, it's near Geumjeongsan, with it's short but sweet sport and trad areas. . . and there are several gyms and at least one wall in the area. . . based on my gym crawl last year, I'd say these gyms were very friendly!! Check 'em out and pick one-- then you'll get to travel on their trips! I ran into Lee Jong-ju of the Dongnae Gym in Maisan last year (his English is limited, but he'll work with your Korean!), and I know Family Climbing also has regular trips (and at least one English speaking-KOTR member).

When are you starting?!

Last edited by skinsk : 01-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Seorak Sender

I would recommend you our climbing gym in Sajickdong

Hello, I'm a member of Family climbing gym in Sajickdong Busan,near Oncheonjang.

you can get in touch with our gym by bus 80, 80-1...or subway number3
Sajick station.

If you are gong to live in Dongae or Jangjeondog. visit our gym.

Happy new year.

Tel: 011-575-4592. [email protected]
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Halla Hanger

Busan is a great city!!!

It has 3 different crags, and not to far from Geoje, Ulsan and Daegu in case you get bored (but not likely).

I climb at the Dongnae gyme in Oncheonjang/Myeongyoungdong. The people are really cool and the gym is only 1,500 won per visit. One of these neighborhoods is probably your best bet, unless you want to live by the beach. In that case I reccomend Gwangan.

The beaches are great in the summer, there's alot more non-korean resturaunts in town these days to give your diet a little variety. I'd say overall its more laid back than Seoul with almost all of th amenities. Cheaper too.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the city.
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
send train

So I've turned down a bunch of schools already and pissed off more than one recruiter. Now I have an offer at one of the best schools i've ever heard of in Korea. The teachers there love it and the director was really nice. The only problem is that it's in Daegu. I was really wanting Busan. I keep google earthing Daegu and doing image searches online. Overall the city seems really flat and boring. Am I wrong? Does it have any redeeming values? It just doesn't look as good as Busan.
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Working it out

daegu has a fun crag. it's not far from ulsan or busan. if i were you, i would first decide what my priorities were for the year: living in a cool place or working at an amazing job with networking possibilities. then i would listen to my heart/gut/intuition. the country is small enough that a weekend trip to busan would take 2hours round trip travel time. totally doable. good luck!
Unread 07-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Halla Hanger

I think Nicole is right, figure out what your priorities are and stick to them. Personally, I think hagwon jobs are pretty much all the same. One may have slight advantages over another is some specific area. But all in all... I would also question the source of "the best job in Korea". If its a recruiter.... Busan is a great city, and if you want to live in Busan, wait for a good job in Busan. If you don't really care where you live and are happy coming/going places on the weekend, go to Daegu.

Something to think about: I climbed this afternoon and then went to the beach this evening. I have a great job, but its an hour commute, but it means I live by the beach. This set up works for me. Figure out what you want and stick to it.

PS there is also good food in Kyungsung (southern neighborhood near the beach) and Canadian microbrew and liv music venues.

PPS: If you tell me what you are looking for, I can pass your resume along to things that might interest you.
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Belay Caddy/Slave

What is ment to be is ment to be in my book.

That being said Dageu has at least three crags within a short distance of downtown. One that is right on the edge of town that is easy to get to and I have enjoyed climbing there.

Daegu Power Climbing is a great gym and has some really nice people to train with and once you get to know them they will take you out with them too. This is also the gym that Sung Sang Won(SP?) the top climber in Korea came from. Mr. Park and his wife are great!!

If I had to be stationed anywhere else besides Pyeongtaek I would want to go to Daegu. It is a really nice city and easy to get to other places from.

My two cents make that five cents.

PS why do people use PS when they type?