Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
tinker bell

Jake if you dont make it out I'll hit the routes and make some notes on things having to do with bolts and ancors.
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Jiri Jammer

Okay, so i called the number and realized my hangul is horrid. I couldnt understand a word that she said other then push 1 for card members. I tried to push 0 to get the operator but perhaps that is just a western thing? Meanwhile, back on the ranch, I am trying to find out what time trains leave from Yongsan headed to Gureygu? Does anyone know when the trains from Yongsan leave for G Gu? Also, would it be better for me to take a train from Seoul Station? If you you can help that would be sweet!
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Halla Hanger

If you leave from Yeongsan Station, there are direct trains. If you take the Saemaul, it takes a little less than 4.5 hours (5-something on the mugunghwa). The first Saemaul leaves at 9am and get into Gurye at 1:20. The last train is at 6:10.

There are no direct trains from Seoul Station and with the transfer, it seems to be about 5+ hours.

Right now, I think I will head over either on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.
Unread 02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
peace

Hey Corey, the Barota train search link in English is back up. . . just at the bottom of the KOTR left column.
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Seorak Sender

from daegu

I would really like to join you all on saturday and sunday. I'm coming from daegu. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good route to take?
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM
tinker bell

I'm not tottaly sure but i think your best bet would be to get a bus to Jeungup and then take the train down form there. there may be a bus that goes directly there but i do not know. another idea might be to take a bus to Naju not sure about bus going ther either though.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Halla Hanger

Naju is pretty far from Gurye, so while I'm guessing you would be able to get a train from there, it isn't the best destination.

I would recommend using the link to Barota (like Sonia said, on the left). Click on "English", then "Schedule." or you can call the 1330 tourist line (use whatever your area phone prefix is, or if you can't find an English operator, call the Seoul one at 02-1330) to get bus and train times.

If you call and the operator has trouble understanding where you want to go, you might want to mention that it is in Jeollanamdo.

Once you get to Gurye, it is really easy - grab a taxi, say Yeongseo Pokpo, and in a few minutes you are there (about 3,000w from the train station, about 6,000 or so from the bus station). Walk along the path past the restaurant and the min-baks, cross over the concrete block path in the creek, and follow the trail up. It takes maybe 10 minutes or so.
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:30 AM
peace

is naju even on a trainline? if so, it's not on the correct one-- the jeolla line as opposed to the honam line (to mokpo)

anyway. . . gurye is on the yeosu line, not the one to (jeongeup)mokpo! there are 2 train lines down south through the jeolla provinces!

from daegu-- you'd want a train to iksan or north of iksan where you could go directly south-eastern to gurye-gu. jeongeup is already quite a bit south (west) of there so you'd have to backtrack to iksan to make the switch. probably your best bet (for most direct) is bus to daejeon or jeonju and another (innercity) bus to gurye (or even a train from jeonju-- though the bus station is a decent walk or $3 taxi to the train station-- you'll be closer to the climbing if you take a train!)
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Seorak Sender

Thanks for your help! I'm looking forward to climbing outdoors again, it seems like it has been a very long time.
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM
tinker bell

Sorry about the bad travel beta... give me a call when you get to Gurygu and i will help you get the rest of the way to the crag. 01086945710