Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 10-25-2005, 08:17 PM
peace

Accomodations

Aside from Hotels and 여관s, many smaller villages (especially those around Parks) have minbak, 민박, more basic rooms for rent. Campgrounds are getting more popular, and while the amenities often close in winter, you can still camp. Many mountain huts, 산장, are open year round, especially those on popular winter trails. Call ahead or e-mail (info on National Park home pages). A bunk costs $5 and sometimes comes with mat/blanket. Basic Korean food, snacks and water are usually for sale. On winter trips, another great alternative are 찜질방, coed 24-hour saunas. They are found in most cities, and unlike 24 hour saunas, they provide shorts and T-shirts and a large co-ed area of saunas, video-games, PC-bang, no-rae bang, TV rooms, restaurant, snack bars, etc. . . the men's and women's bathhouse areas are still separate. There are often cubbie-holes you can stake out if you come early for a little privacy. Ear-plugs can come in handy, though many have quiet sleeping rooms. Once you're in, you're in, but they'll let you stash your pack, walk around the city, and come back when you're ready. Prices run $6-10 (I still find occassional 24-hour saunas with no co-ed areas, for $5-6, in smaller cities and more rural areas.)
Unread 10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
verticalcult

More on accommodation

Good notes to have posted Skinsk, thanks! Sure that many climbers are unsure what to do vis-a-vis accom, and YES the 찜 질방s are graet alternative for indiv's and groups. The mountain huts (산장 or 대피소) are great too (especially on Jiri San and Seorak San), but need to booked over the net in advance to be assured of a place. OK usually this isn't a problem, but in vacation seasons or long weekends it can be an issue, so get online (with Korean speaker if need be) and plan ahead where you'll bunk down. Oh and be advised that the food on sale at these mountain huts can be astronomically expensive! Ramyeon (라면) can be upto 6000 won! Best take a good supply of food and be sure take out all your garbage.
Unread 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
climbergrrl

Hi guys!

Do you know of a good website, or any specific website (i.e. - for 지리산 or 설악산) that will allow me to book a reservation at a 산장?

Thanks for any info that you can pass on...

Cheers!
Heidi
Unread 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
peace

I have tried to make reservations (Pisandae) via the web, and no luck. You Korean is good! Call (I have done this). . . I have found, especially in the off season that it is not necessary; but during the Sorak Ice Festival?Comp or something, it would be a good idea (but you'd probably be staying with your gym!). Of course, many mountain huts close for the winter, so never a bad idea to call ahead. Is the "links" from this site gone, or just hiding from me? There is a good national parks site, but about half my favorites are at work, half home. . . anyway, hope something in here is helpful.
Unread 12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Aggressive Sheep

you may try this link. i emailed the one about a reservation at jiri but never heard back from them. a call would be better (link has ##'s)