Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 03-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Ayeishi!

I want to go somewhere.

I would like to go on a climbing vacation in August for about 2 weeks maybe a bit less. I heard India is a great place to go for climbing, especially in the summer months. I really wanted to check out Thailand, but I heard it's really rainy in August. Or I'd love to go to Italy (Dolmites). Anyway. Any suggestions? Anyone wanna come?
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:55 AM
peace

Ricky,

Yes go yes. . . 2 weeks or less, though, is short. If that's all you can swing, I'd consider a road trip in Korea. Otherwise, here's a rundown of some of the other choices. India is a great place. There are a few places to climb, but you'd have to pick one. Aug would be in season. I am not sure what the scene is like in terms of finding partners (I've only done mouuntaineering in the Indian Himalayas, but you'd need more time for that). Visas are complicated and expensive for 2 weeks, and the flight is long. Save India for 5 weeks minimum. Italy and the Dolomites are beautiful. August will be swarming with German/Austrian tourists in caravans-- campsites will be full, especially on the weekends. Partners are likely to be plentiful. Thailand may be rainy (when isn't it?) but you might try heading N to Chaing Mai and climb near there. It's the off-season so not so crowded but you're likely to find partners or cheap guides (with equip
ment). It's closer and easier to do for less than 2 weeks. I'd go with Thailand, hit Europe when you've time to check out a few places (and you can meet so many Europeans in Thailand, you'll have places to stay and people to climb with when you get there!).

Another place (given a few weeks) to consider is Morocco which has mountains and sport climbing (Todra Gorge)-- fun country, great locals, not so many but enough partners and a good low-key scene.

Bonus: All of your "choices" have excellent food!!

Not sure what I'm doing in August, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind
Unread 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
(–.–)

Val di Mello is good place to go climbing during the summer in Italy. You will find everything there, bouldering, sportclimbing, trad and bigwalls. I went there 2004 and it was really cool. Not so many tourists and reasonable prices for coffee (the best coffee ever for about 1 euro) and pizza (from 5-10 euro)!
Our schedule was bouldering for 2 days and do some easier multipitch stuff on the following restday. Perfect, no more boring restdays, It is a little bit like doing easy circuits in Font on the restdays.
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
(–.–)

ok here are some pics from val di mello:
the waterslide was besides the parkingarea, where we usualy slept.
the route near the waterfall looked nice and was quite fun, the first pitch around 6a+, the second pitch is an easy slab with a good runout, 40 meters with 2 placements or so. the upper part is so easy that you can climb it without using your hands, very smooth and fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valdimello1.jpg (181.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg valdimello2.jpg (184.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wasserfall.jpg (91.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg rutsche.jpg (105.6 KB, 10 views)
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Ayeishi!

Kapshida!!!!

Better said in true Jeollanam dialect.... Kushigy Haji! (So let's do it.)
I'm down for whatever. That trip sounds cool.
Anyone wanna go???

Actually.... I've kind of xed India off the list. I'd like to visit India for more than two weeks. So I think the choice will be between Thailand, China (if there is GOOD climbing there), and maybe Italy. Though I should really do a whole Euro trip like Skinsk suggested. But I can always revisit.
I was thinking a little a bit Argentina, but it seems really far.
Anyway. If anyone has anymore ideas I would certainly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM
(–.–)

another classic summer spot would be ceuse in france.
perfect limestone in an alpine surrounding and the place to go for everyone who wants to see the sharma route realization not only on dvd.

frankenjura in germany might be another summer destination, pocketed limestone and no long walks. many classic climbs in all grades.

fontainebleau which is located one hour south of paris is always good and a maybe the best bouldering area in the world. brilliant problems from easy to impossible and on restdays you might see the louvre or eifel tower...
Unread 04-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Aggressive Sheep

Go China!

wow all this travelling/climbing talk has really whetted my appetite!
as far as your china query goes, i found the following sites for you to drool over. it looks like Yangshuo is the up and coming climbing mecca of china with over 200 bolted routes.

Adventure at China which mentions that august through november are the best months to climb. this a great site with a wealth of info including traveller info, and photographs of crags and routes.
this forum on rockclimbing.com has a little extra local info
here is a map of where Yangshuo is (fairly close to hong kong)
the China Climb website has some nice pics but mostly broken links
and Karst Climbing

several of these sites offer guiding service, but it looks like you can get the local partner hookup at the redbar (1st link). i also found a couple of email from current and former locals who helped establish the scene that i could pm to you if you like.

damn ricky! i'd be so up for this if i wasn't already taking 2.5 weeks off in july/august. there is a remote possibility i could join but you shouldn't count on it.
Unread 04-06-2006, 12:20 AM
peace

Yeah Ricky,

If I am good to go at the time you are, I'd be up for Yangshuo (spelled numerous ways!). . . bit of trek out there, but I've heard nothing but good things and it looks beautiful!
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Ayeishi!

Yah! Let's do it!!!!
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
climbergrrl

Sounds like you guys have some awesome trip ideas. It's too late for me to change my summer plans for Canada (SQUAMISH! THE ROCKIES! and, of course, my dear family...), not that I'd want to, of course, but still, it does sound like you'll have a great trip wherever you end up going.

I just wanted to post a notice to give some advance notice to those interested (so you can start saving for plane tickets, getting in shape , and so on...) in a trip to Europe next summer (2007). I'm planning to do a trip on the north coast of the Mediterranean. Starting in Spain, moving on to France and then Italy (actually, Italy wasn't in the plans, but kimcito has convinced me! ), and burning through Croatia and Bosnia, then ending up in Greece, climbing all the way, and hopefully visiting some friends and seeing the sights (on rest days, of course ). Or maybe the same idea, in reverse. I'll probably go starting in the end of June and travel for at least one month. Any takers? If you want to have a climbing trip, no fixed plans, and you are pretty easy-going, you are welcome to join... It'll be fun...

Cheers!
Heidi