Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 12-09-2005, 09:04 PM
peace

Friendly Food (Vegetarian)

It's no longer my signature, so I thought I'd start a thread here in what seemed an appropriate place. Quite a lot of veggies on KOTR, folks who might get around the peninsula, and need to eat. Non-veggies are also welcome to peek, and eat!

http://www.freewebs.com/vegetariankorea/index.htm

is the website. You can still PM me (with your e-mail) for a more comprehensive list that includes non-veggie restaurants with decent veggie options.

Also, if you have a website or Korea blog, please link this site, as I am way low-tech and I think the site is not reaching as many people as it could.
Unread 12-11-2005, 10:38 AM
This Guy That's Me

The International Chef of Mystery (take off the mask! take off the mask!) has recently started posting recipes online at Eat This. Most of these are made from contents available within Korea, but some import food stuffs are also used.

I'm sure TICOM will soon be sharing favorite markets and shops around Seoul for both import foods and locally grown organic matter.
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM
This Guy That's Me

In our studio this evening is a very special guest. We’re really pleased to have this individual with us again for another time just like last time. Please give it up for… The International Chef of Mystery. [applause track]

Curious_J (CJ): Thank you for joining us for tonight’s podcast.
TICOM: Why did you call this a podcast?
CJ: Right, well. You do have a reputation on the street for always asking the right questions. Probing. But like I was saying, we’re glad to have you with us to share your international knowledge of mysteries.
TICOM: I thought we were going to talk about health food stores and organic living.
CJ: The only way you could be more Marzipan is if you’d just said “tofu.”
TICOM: Well, thank you. I brought my guitar to sing a number. I call it “Ode to Hobak.” I’ll sing it a little later.
CJ: I’m sure we’ll all be waiting for that like Climbergrrl waits for spring.
TICOM: Actually she stays active on ice all winter to stave off the cravings.
CJ: How do you know about Climbergrrl?
TICOM: Anyway, think global, act local. Buy organic. Leave no trace. Free Tibet. Strive for five. Go for the gold. Say no to drugs. Just do it. You are what you eat.
CJ: TICOM, you’re not just good, you’re golden. So please share some of your gold nuggets of wisdom for the miners of health who are diggin’ deep tonight.
TICOM: Well, one of my favorite Korean organic chains is ORGA Whole Foods.
CJ: As in a killer whale? Odd. Tell me more.
TICOM: It’s about as expensive as buying a killer whale. But hey, free Willy.
CJ: If that overgrown porpoise were falling out of the sky, I’d catch it, ‘cause hey, free willy.
TICOM: If you want to learn more about ORGA foods, you can visit their website at www.orga.co.kr. Unfortunately, it is entirely in Korean. But if you click on 매장안내, it will take you to their list of stores around Seoul and give you directions…which someone will have to translate for you.
CJ: I’m glad you mentioned that point. Rumor is that Eric the Amazing has Babelfish about ready to join KOTR. It will translate anything for you. Correctly. Right, Eric the Amazing?
TICOM: I’ve been to the ORGA shop near COEX Mall, and also the one that’s hidden away in the E-Mart at Yongsan Station. The one near COEX is the biggest I’ve been to so far.
CJ: And just out of curiosity. What is your favorite item at ORGA?
TICOM: Soy Delicious. Peanut Butter ZigZag.
CJ: That sounds like a pronunciation quiz. Do they have locally grown organic grub or just imported, mass-marketed, processed goodies like SoyDelicious?
TICOM: A little of both.
CJ: Where else do you find your fine ingredients listed at Eat This?
TICOM: A couple of times, I’ve visited another Korean health food store—Hegaon. Their website is www.hegaon.com. Also in Korean. The shop I went to is near Anguk station, but I hear there’s another one in Ilsan.
CJ: Please compare and contrast the two shops for our inquiring listeners.
TICOM: Well, our readers would find that the Hegaon shop is small, but still well-stocked with Soy Delicious.
CJ: Three is a lucky number in some Norwegian cults. Please use the number three in your next statement.
TICOM: I’ve found three other places where I can find both local and imported organic foods: Hyundai Department store at Apgujung Station, Hannam Supermarket near Hangangjin Station, and Haddon House near Oksu Station.
CJ: Let’s focus on Hannam Supermarket first. Would you say that every foreigner in or around Seoul has already been there?
TICOM: I do not know the answer to your question. Besides a wide selection of food, they also carry earth-friendly household cleaning products. They’ve also been known to sell climbing magazines a time or two but not as consistently as Kyobo.
CJ: Now you mentioned Oksu in reference to Haddon House. That would be the point of disembarking from the subway to reach Mr. Sohn’s climbing gym. Correct?
TICOM: Right, and one stop away from the Eunbong climbing park.
CJ: Well said.
TICOM: Haddon House is a place I stumbled upon only recently. I need to go back and scout it out some more.
CJ: How can we give our listeners some details on how to find these fine establishments?
TICOM: This interview is getting tedious. Giving directions here would be very boring.
CJ: Again, well said. If anyone’s interested, they can call in during our commercial break. The number is at the bottom of the screen. And where do you shop for locally grown produce?
TICOM: Locally.
CJ: Well, that about answers all of my questions. Do you have any thoughts, comments, questions or snide remarks for the listening audience?
TICOM: Only you can prevent forest fires.
CJ: I love you.

PRODUCER: Please join us next time for a review of raw food diets, root-based supplements, and clear fiber drinks made right here on the Korean peninsula. Same bat channel. Same bat time. [The get up noise.]

EDITOR'S NOTE: In an effort to quell the growing grass-roots movement to point out the difference between an orca and ORGA, let me say... I'm truly sorry. That is, I'm sorry you didn't catch that our peoples was playing stupid.

Last edited by curious_j : 12-13-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:24 AM
stone samurai

lmao

that was not only informative, but damn funny.

-ron kauk
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:51 PM
This Guy That's Me

TICOM rocks. Save the whales.

Brought to you by our sponsors at Happy Cow.
Unread 12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
This Guy That's Me

If you'd like to know what the USDA is saying about Korea's organic industry (production, consumption, growth, imports, etc.), then you... probably have serious issues. See a doc after you finish reading this FAS report with its pretty pictures.
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
This Guy That's Me

Some climbers gave me a ride home after interviewing Son Jung-jun, and they pointed out a shop that Seoul climbers frequent for healthy victuals. I thought Hunza (Hoon-ja) was just our local hole-in-the-wall health and religion store, so I was surprised to hear it had a reputation. The website has a map (At the bottom of the screen, click on 회사소개. The icon is just to the right of the word "Home."). I believe everything is vegetarian, but I can't guarantee it.
Unread 02-22-2006, 07:05 AM
peace

Feb 14, the Korea Times featured my web page! As I am in the US, when they asked me for a "vegetarian themed" photo, I gave them the one from Rick's birthday, with Josh and Dee-- really hope that was OK as the Times used it!

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/spec...0093867670.htm

Last edited by skinsk : 02-22-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Unread 02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
climbergrrl

No worries! Just another 10 seconds off my 15 minutes of fame...

Dee
Unread 11-16-2006, 06:28 PM
peace

New Homepage

Thanks to the computer god, Eric, my measly freeweb // free/ stupid website has changed. Now whether at home in Korea or traveling this beautiful country, you can always find good (less-cruel, more sustainable) food at the memorable: www.vegetariankorea.org

Please visit and add/verify/suggest!!

Last edited by skinsk : 12-07-2006 at 08:19 PM.