Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I was my doppelganger

Lightbulb Climbing Guide Book? start one between saturday and 20th of august?

Is there a guide book to SK rocks? if not, with all our notes combined we can probably get one together. i'm starting one next week. we can get them bound for about $8/piece then provide them on KOTR.

i have the 1st through 20th of august off. anyone want to meet me to get lost in the bush for any piece of that time? getting lost is the best way to write guide books.

i'll put my phone# up when i get it in the next couple days.

fun! fun! fun!
Craig
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Halla Hanger

Craig,
One of our fellow KOTR'rs has been working on a guidebook that is set to be finished sometime soon, I think? Having lived here for quite a while Sonia Knapp and her cowriter Dong Il have contributed countless crag info to this site and their book should be quite amazing.
Unread 07-28-2009, 12:23 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

You might want to talk with Sonia first:
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/member.php?u=122
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I was my doppelganger

right arm!

cool. thanks guys. i didn't know and don't wish to step on sonia's toes. regardless, anyone in for the adventure?
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:29 PM
peace

No dude. . . I need help!! First I need to re-get indesign and photoshop because I had to get a new hard drive (and later a new screen, each of which took 6+ weeks in Slovakia for the Mac!!) all my files are in these programs so I can't access. . . but I am still (slowly) compiling photos and such, and now I think I need a return trip to Korea SOON just to re-educate myself. . . but I seem stuck. . . Eric, I was going to try to skype you on the tech end. Congrats to Karen-- saw the graduation photos!!

craigle, besides re-checking some of my info (I could actually probably send you some files, even if I can't open them!) to mostly, getting good shots of the cliffs and climbers. . .
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:56 AM
peace

OK. . . once again. . .

I still have some old interviews and submissions, but I invite new ones. . .

Here's my latest preface to preface. . . I am to just rework this thing (and find someone to help me get photoshop and indesign for Mac) and PUSH it through. Anyway, once again inviting people to share or help. Dong-il. . . I'll send everything there first!

So a new preface:

Quote:
This book, now two years in the making gains new perspective, almost a year (and half a world) away from Korea. I've had so many setbacks since leaving. . . from work, to computer crashes (Macs are almost unheard of in Slovakia . . . they had English speaking Mac people in Jeonju!) to job stress (for three years in Korea I would say, "I can't complain" about my job at Jeonju University. This was not an unusual utterance among foreigners, especially among the climbing community who tended to stay longer in, or come back to, Korea. I have met many wonderful, friendly (to the point where some will hopefully be my friends forever) climbers, but the community is nothing like the Korean or expat community in Korea. There may be something like it, but nothing I've discovered. Of course, it's something that's taken years to build in Korea, but something there seems like magic, and I am not the only person to feel it. I hope this book captures some of that magic. I've tried to include more than just areas, route names and beta. I've tried to introduce some of the climbing community in all it's diversity. . . from it's leaders and biggest personalities to visitors and expats from all walks of life. Yeah, there's practical information compiled from years of trial and error, and any information you could want will be answered in minutes on www.koreaontherocks.com.

Q: So why write a book.
A: Many reasons. It's a tribute to an amazing community, one could say, family. It's also a secret, beyond Korea's borders. But the Korean and ex-pat climbing community in Korea is something that gave me a lot. I've also met some amazing people climbing in Korea, from 70 year-old sport climbers (on 5.12!) to people who found the website, or met/worked with a climber. . . and came out . . . and pretty soon was leading 5.10! I hope this book tells a story . . . a love story that everyone is invited to join!

If you want to help in other ways, PHOTOS (esp full cliff shots) and matching photos to climbs, would be great; researching local gyms and websites (requires some Korean) to find info on the route developers (possibly also interviews and bio-writing/reporting) would also be good. . . I would like to include photos of the people/gyms that originally did the routes.

Finally, proof-reading and editing (English and Korean) is also appreciated. There's stuff that's completely done and ready to go.

Send any info to: canubelay-at-hotmail.com . . .

more info on photos and how to be useful here.
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM
verticalcult

Sonia, send me your files for Korean checking/ editing if you like (that'll take some of the load off Dong-il)...or the English if you trust me with my mixed Aussie-British spellings and all...
I'll try and do a mini-interview with some of the local Daejeon climbers + photos if you like. People like Han Sang-hoon and Mun Seung-Beom who really made the ice-park and new outdoor wall (as well as being top class comp climbers and sweet people generally).
If you remember Mr Min from Wonju (long white beard and pony-tailed hair...) I could interview him too, his story is kind of different. Got into climbing in his 50's and lives alone in a hut in the mountains, now climbing 5.11/12s I think...great character face.
Send what you want and I'll get on it.
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Sonia,

Can help from Daegu and/or Sokcho. Interview with Power Climbing and Challenger possible here in town. Il Han, a local Korean friend, with perfect English can help with any interview translations etc. We've got a pretty good crew here in Daegu, so let us know what you need, anything within 200k is fair game....we're all pretty mobile.

Cheers
Bryan
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Halla Hanger

Sonia,
The gym I go to in Gwangju has a 15 year old climber who climbs 5.14a. He is sponsored by K2 and the Government of Korea! When I asked him what his goals were in terms of climbing, he responded plainly "to be the best in the world." I would be more than happy to conduct an interview with him if you could give me some core questions you would like asked.

Charlie