Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking Let's show this place to the world!!!

Hey ya’ll,

My name is Dave McAllister, and I lived and climbed in Korea for just over two years (’05-’08). I’m headed back on a writing project for Rock and Ice (if the images and words pan out, per editor), and I am trying to rally the folks for a big old session at the rocks for a weekend, some dinners, a cold Hite or six, and chat.

I’d love to get a huge crew to the Riverbeds for a session on the weekend of the 6th/7th, the first Saturday and Sunday I’ll be there (and the following weekend!). Of course, we’ll be bouldering and shooting through the 15th, or so, so any other time people are available to get out to Seoul bouldering areas (Insubong, the RBs, Moraksan, the areas I’m not privy to, etc.) would be killer.

The article’s focus is gonna zero-in on ya’ll. The development while I was in country was fantastic, but it has since jumped the shark to astounding. I am inspired by ya’ll! This is what I wrote to my editor at Rock and Ice for an article query:

“The expat climber vibe in Seoul is like nothing I have ever seen. Just off the subway and bus lines (which is how we all get to the boulders), and within the Seoul city limits, a world of rock awaits. As the chimes ding midnight you could be sitting next to an international businessman sipping a cold soju amid sprawling high rises; after a quick kip you’re lacing up at the nation’s best bouldering by the ****’s crow. The core group orbits a passion for development like I have never seen, due I believe, at least partially, to the fundamental awareness of their ultimate departure from their own little Shangri-la of freedom, FA’s, and each other. I want to capture this vibe while it is still vibrating…while the chalk still speckles their faces.”

The article and photos, of course, are all about YOU. I would love to get you all involved in the process. I also wanna get in some good interviews with Kim Lee, Unio, Heidi, and anyone else you think is relevant to the burgeoning development and the Seoul scene (Jake???). Of course, I know Busan and Seoraksan and bla bla bla also present limitless opportunities, but for this piece I want to tackle the relation between one of Asia’s premier hubs and the unbelievable bouldering found just a couple thousand won away.

Anyway, I’m stoked to see all my old bros and meet some new strongmos pulling virgin lines out of the miasma! I don’t give a crap how strong anyone is…rather I just wanna meet ya’ll and have some epic sessions! Hope to see ya’ll out there!

If anyone wants to get ahold of me (please do if ya wanna join or have any other pertinent info), drop me a line at [email protected] or rock an IM my way on KOTR.

Cheers from Denver!
Dave
Unread 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM
send train

there's no bouldering in korea silly!
Unread 05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

No man, he said the vibe was in his soul.

I mean, come on. Who has ever heard of people climbing in Korea?
This place is dead pan flat, covered in rice fields.
Swimming might be more to write home about.

But I tell you what, if you want to get excited about something, then talk to Pusan Jason. Man he makes the most difficult stuff in the world look possible. His door is always open, and he really does like to share his secret places with others.
Unread 05-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking

Wow...sandbagged by the locals...
Unread 05-23-2009, 02:46 AM
thread killer

Don't let those Busan-Puuusssan punks sandbag you! You know that the Seoul Crew has had your back since day one. I don't know who this "Pusan Jason" character is but if he really wants to represent he'd better get up to Seoul on the 6th/7th.
Unread 05-23-2009, 12:39 PM
verticalcult

Davo mate, I've never lived in Seoul nor really ever bouldered....I'm a rope junkie, but if YOU are a coming back, then totally I'm there mate...sick as! Thanks a ton too BTW. Can't wait to get all chalky with you.
Unread 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking

****, doggie daaawg, I knew you weren't a pebble wrestler, but that's the joy of getting you out on the rabbit turds! See ya in a couple weeks! I'll bring the cold Hite!!
Unread 05-23-2009, 05:53 PM
clam digger

right, i'm most definitely jobless and free all of june to rock this funk like a real climbing trip, hampi style!
pusan folk: i would love to be down there at some point over the summer, as well.. but that'll have to be once fitzelq heads back to the states.... june is the month of seoul!
pumped out of my mind to climb with a crew at the RBz and anywhere else in seoul.. just arrived in hanguk two nights ago and i can already feel the kimchi making up for my lack of strength...
fitzelq, i'm gona have two weeks of korean food on ya by the time you get here... means i'm gona be ridiculously strong, eh; and since i'm eating extra kimchi to make up for my kimchi void while in south america, i might even be stronger than this mystical pusan-jason mentioned above.. oooookkkkkaaaayyyyyyy.

stoked... oh, and KL, can i crash at your place while in seoul...i'm also homeless.

VAMOS!
Unread 05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
send train

last i checked i didn't have mystical powers and was getting my *** handed to me on the warm up at a sport crag... i'll still do my best to be there though... you will need someone to shout random obsenities and to keep the pads warm when no one is falling on them.

no need to come down here any time soon, it's likeley that we would spend the whole day hiking in the wrong direction to find some "boulders" based on my foggy recollection of a satalite image that i never thought to print out. seoul crew has there **** dialed in as i'm sure you're aware.

i'll come on the weekend that people will go somewhere new (to me) or maybe the lower rb's... decompression chamber decided it wasn't my day to send last time.
Unread 05-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking

Yo diggity...the day is quickly approaching. wondering if i could get some numbers from ya'll?

Kim Lee? Not gonna have a phone that works (I don't think so, at least...), but we'll figure something out.

Also, does 10am sound good for Saturday bouldering? Meet at the RBs (the area I remember, with Hermetic Arete, Bloodsport, and Dear Buddha, Levitate)? Kosher?

What say ye?